Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Old June 4th, 2013, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad to see others getting info and help too! The noise on my has seemed to quiet down but still happens right after getting gas. But now the knocking is only a few knocks here and there and not a series of knocks getting faster and faster. Thanks lmich18 for posting your experience in getting it fixed.
Old June 4th, 2013, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lmich18
Good morning I would like to let everyone know that my 2013 Equinox is fixed.The auxiliary pump is a bad part number.Tell the service department to contact gm and they will tell the to replace the part.
Hey lmich, how long have you gone now with this being replaced and not hearing the noise?

I don't want to sound silly but isn't the auxiliary pump the same thing as the fuel pump? I believe this was mentioned earlier but did not resolve the issue for someone else.

My noise still continues, comes from the same area every time. Usually happens within the first 5 minutes of starting my car.
Old June 5th, 2013, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Chevy Equinox - Knock, Knock

Just bought my 2013 Equinox brand new in October 2012. Sitting in a drive-thru I hear a 'knock, knock, knock, knock' coming from the back. My husband said, 'Oh, that's just the fuel pump warming up...' I say 'Yeah, but why have I never heard one in a car ever before 'til now?'
Now it happens every time we go anywhere.
Is this safe?
What does Chevrolet themselves have to say about this?
Is this something we should ignore or replace? If so, with what? The same part again seems to be the only answer given..
What sense would that make when it has been done and the problem reoccurs?
On a related topic: My Mother just went through a patent defect scenario similar to this.... Her car's transmission stopped working after only 30,000 miles. The manufacturer claimed not to know why - yet there were multiple forums discussing the issue but to no avail. Many people claiming it left them and their family members stranded and living with large transmission replacement bills every 30,000 miles. (BTW, this was a 2008 Ford Taurus that this happened to.)
To work around this, I suggested to my Mother to get a different transmission from a similar car that doesn't have the bad track record. I didn't want her to have to spend $5k every 30k miles. Her mechanic agreed and began searching for a comp. Sure enough, he found a comparable transmission that would fit the car that didn't have a forum discussing its poor performance. She has had no more transmission issues, (Knock on Wood).

So, can Chevy do something similar for the Equinox as well?
Find a replacement fuel pump that isn't the one that went bad in the first place.
If the warranty only covers equal replacement of a patent defective part; isn't that the same as returning soured milk to the store and being handed another gallon of soured milk as the replacement?
Old June 6th, 2013, 9:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

skilwit,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this knocking noise with your Equinox. The dealership should look into this for at least a diagnosis. If you would like you can private message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, mileage, and the name of your preferred GM dealership, so we can assist you through this concern. Look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 19th, 2013, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Equinox knocking noise from rear base of vehicle

Hi all,

Similar to previous posts from other users, I have had an intermittent knocking noise coming from the rear of my 2013 Equinox purchased back in 11/2012. It is heard only upon turning on and turning off the vehicle, but most often when turning it on. The knocking noise stems from the rear end near the floor level and lasts roughly 20 seconds. The noise seems to 'knock' loudly at first and then seems to trail off but speed up in frequency until it comes to a stop. I have never noticed it when the vehicle is in motion. It definitely seems to happen more regularly in the winter than in the summer. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old June 19th, 2013, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Equinox knocking noise coming from rear of vehicle

Hi Erica,

Please let me know if you have any additional information pertaining to the issue mentioned in this thread. If you need any additional information from me, please let me know. If you have an email address available for a private message, I would rather contact you in that way rather than through this forum.

Thanks.
Chris K.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have that same issue with my 2005 equinox. Makes me think that it's not just 2013 models but older ones as well.
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me too!

Mjoines & everyone else I have the same issues with my 2013 equinox. I took it in last week and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course the noise isn't consistent so I understand. However, they told me that I would just have to let the problem manifest a bit more! Help has anyone's car been rid of the problem?????
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

So did the knocking stop?
Old August 12th, 2013, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mychevy13
Mjoines & everyone else I have the same issues with my 2013 equinox. I took it in last week and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course the noise isn't consistent so I understand. However, they told me that I would just have to let the problem manifest a bit more! Help has anyone's car been rid of the problem?????
I haven't had time to bring my car into the dealer. Unfortunately they do not offer loaner cars unless they have to keep it over night. My schedule conflicts too much and I've just learned to live with it.

I know if I made time to bring the car in then the noise probably wouldn't happen anyway so what's the point.

I'm only leasing this nox so it'll be their problem in 2 years, not mine.

Sorry for the troubles everyone is having but I haven't had any other issues because of the noise, simply just irritating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end