Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Old June 25th, 2014, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping sound in rear 2014 Equinox

I love my 2014 Equinox, but have been concerned about a "thumping" sound coming from the rear of the car. It usually occurs after the car has been sitting for several hours - typically when starting it in the AM or after work. It mostly occurs after the engine is started and sits idling for approximately 5 minutes prior to take-off. It has happened when the car is in park and also in gear with brake on. On one occasion, it happened at a stop light 2-3 minutes into my commute. I have told the service department staff at dealership, but it makes no sense to them. I had it in for one night to see if sound could be replicated - no. It is at the dealership for a second time, hopefully long enough for sound to be replicated. The pattern of "thumps" is typically 4-5 slow thumps followed by 8-10 rapid thumps. HELP!
Old June 26th, 2014, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Your situation is the same as everyone else. That same pattern of knocking occurs usually after sitting for a few hours and occurs a few minutes after startup. This must be a bad GM part because I initially posted in this thread when I had my equinox and I now have the problem with my 2013 camaro.

The only thing you can do is complain to the dealer. Call your sales rep and make them have someone from service call you. Force them to take your car for a few days to see if they can replicate. My local dealer won't give me a rental unless they consider it necessary to keep the car overnight so I have basically given up.

My next car won't be a GM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Equinoxfan
I love my 2014 Equinox, but have been concerned about a "thumping" sound coming from the rear of the car. It usually occurs after the car has been sitting for several hours - typically when starting it in the AM or after work. It mostly occurs after the engine is started and sits idling for approximately 5 minutes prior to take-off. It has happened when the car is in park and also in gear with brake on. On one occasion, it happened at a stop light 2-3 minutes into my commute. I have told the service department staff at dealership, but it makes no sense to them. I had it in for one night to see if sound could be replicated - no. It is at the dealership for a second time, hopefully long enough for sound to be replicated. The pattern of "thumps" is typically 4-5 slow thumps followed by 8-10 rapid thumps. HELP!
Do you have a spare? Is the spare and jack SECURE? Tighten it just in case.

Otherwise try this - BEFORE leaving - open the gas cap and let the pressure out and then retighten (and listen for any pressure being released). See if that helps.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only saw 1 post about 1 vehicle being AWD.

No one is discussing engine size?

Is it across both the 2.4L and 3.6L? Or just the 3.6L?
Old June 27th, 2014, 4:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Equinoxfan,

I’m very sorry to hear of the thumping sound that you are experiencing in your Equinox. I understand that you have been to your dealership regarding your concern. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to contact your dealership on your behalf in order to further discuss your concern. Please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if the extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 12th, 2014, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Just purchased a 2014 Equinox LTZ. I've had it for a week...about 400 miles on it now. I've experienced the knocking sound twice (so for) just as described in the many posts above. I will follow-up with dealer referencing the PIP5122B service bulletin listed above. Have any of you earlier posters solved the problem after doing the repairs suggested in the service bulletin?

7/19 Update - Dealer installed a new fuel tank module under warranty per the service bulletin referenced above. Apparently the computer in the 2014 Equinox has an input code which enables a simulation of the knocking problem thus eliminating the hit or miss testing process usually involved when trying to confirm an intermittent problem. It took less than an hour to confirm the knocking. Unfortunately the dealer did not have the part on hand so they needed to keep the car another day. The dealer didn't know (or didn't want to share) exactly what was wrong with the module, but I have not heard the knocking sound since the repair and, unless I hear it again, I consider the matter resolved.

Last edited by hawkeye53; July 19th, 2014 at 3:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old November 25th, 2014, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same thumping sound. Doesn't happen all the time so it's hard to take to the dealership for service. Would love to have this issue fixed. I have only had my Equinox for a few months. The one I had prior to this one was fine. No problems. That's why I puchased another one. Help!
Old November 25th, 2014, 5:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Soccermom86
I have the same thumping sound. Doesn't happen all the time so it's hard to take to the dealership for service. Would love to have this issue fixed. I have only had my Equinox for a few months. The one I had prior to this one was fine. No problems. That's why I puchased another one. Help!
Hey Soccermom86,

Feel free to send us your VIN, contact information and mileage if there's anything we can do to help. Sorry for any trouble this has caused. We'd be happy to contact your dealership to work through this matter.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 8th, 2015, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same knocking noise

I've taken my 2013 Chevy Equinox to my dealership here in Arizona twice now for the knocking noise by the gas tank. Both times being told there's nothing the service department can do. I even cited this forum and bulletin. I spoke to the Customer Service GM, who said he didn't know anything about this forum and without hearing the noise they can not fix it, and are not aware of there being a problem as I describe!? There are dozens of complaints here. I've owned Chevys since 2001. I'm extremely frustrated and unhappy. This last stay at the dealership for this issue left me without a vehicle 2 days this week. I feel like my concerns with my year old Equinox is not being taken seriously.
Old January 8th, 2015, 4:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Hey Wairishh,

We truly apologize, and we would never want a negative experience to come from your vehicle ownership. If you need any additional assistance with this, we would be happy to look into this further. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end