Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2014 Equinox knocking noise in rear

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2014, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Equinox knocking noise in rear

So my car has 7,000 miles on it, and last week i started the car up and was sitting in my driveway in park waiting for school bus, all of a sudden i hear this knocking noise coming from the rear. when i started driving it went away. has done it off and on, for the past week, only in the morning while in park or foot on brake and in drive. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old August 25th, 2014, 1:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lisau69
So my car has 7,000 miles on it, and last week i started the car up and was sitting in my driveway in park waiting for school bus, all of a sudden i hear this knocking noise coming from the rear. when i started driving it went away. has done it off and on, for the past week, only in the morning while in park or foot on brake and in drive. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hello Lisa,

I apologize for this! We would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership? Hope to hear from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 15th, 2017, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default The issue is the gas pump inside the gas tank

It's the gas pump! The gas tank straddles the drive shaft. There is a gas pump inside the the gas tank to keep both sides level. There is something wrong with the leveling mechanism. The dealership guy had to search through Chevy's technical memos to find the problem. They ordered a new one and replaced it. I haven't heard the sound since.
Old August 24th, 2017, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Loud thump in rear when I brake!!!

Ugh! I have recently been experiencing the same knocking noise and a loud thump in rear when I brake. This is very upsetting being that my car is not that old. After reading a lot of the previous post I will be taking my chevy in and telling the service department about the noise. I really wish Chevy would issue a recall on the bad part being that so many people are spending their hard earned money on their vehicles and experiencing the same problem.
Old August 31st, 2017, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Yearofnikki: Was this covered under warranty? How dangerous is this to drive with the noise. It is happening to me a various times. At first I thought it was the rear windshield wiper.
Old September 5th, 2017, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by CF013
Yearofnikki: Was this covered under warranty? How dangerous is this to drive with the noise. It is happening to me a various times. At first I thought it was the rear windshield wiper.
Mine was covered under the warranty because my car had less than 5k miles. I don't know if it's dangerous but I continued to drive with it until they fixed it because it's my only car. They need to look for a technical memo, it's not a recall.
Old February 15th, 2020, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up 2019 Equinox

Great news, it's fixed! My 2019 did the same thing intermittently, and finally did it often enough for the dealer to diagnose. They replaced the Driveline Torque Tube. There was an internal bearing failure in the Rear Prop Shaft. Been 2 weeks and the noise is still gone. SPREAD THE WORD!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
shaft.pdf (718.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by kevinL2020; February 15th, 2020 at 12:34 PM.