Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

AC & Overheating Problems!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AC & Overheating Problems!! HELP!

I bought a used 2008 Equinox from a very reputable dealer on January 31st. During this time, while driving, the AC would periodically blow a small amount of hot air but soon correct itself. When it would do this, it would change from recycled air to fresh air and not allow me to change back. Today, while idling, it started blowing really hot air and would only correct itself when I would drive. Also, later in the afternoon, I got the message "ENGINE HOT A/C OFF". I immediately took it up to the dealer when it cooled down. Any idea what all of this is? Does the overheating and the A/C correlate in some way? I'm so confused and mad. I hope this won't cost a fortune! Any help is truly appreciated!!
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

What did the dealer say was causing it? The A/C is turned off when engine sensor shows overheating to keep engine from getting even hotter. Not really familiar with an Equinox. When the "ENGINE HOT A/C OFF" came on was the temp gauge showing that it was overheated? Did you check to see if the engine really was overheated?
Old June 19th, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
What did the dealer say was causing it? The A/C is turned off when engine sensor shows overheating to keep engine from getting even hotter. Not really familiar with an Equinox. When the "ENGINE HOT A/C OFF" came on was the temp gauge showing that it was overheated? Did you check to see if the engine really was overheated?
X2, also are all the fans (radiator) running. As posted you have to deterrmine if it is actually overheating.
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

The dealer called and said it was the coolant fan not kicking on. When I got the message that it was overheating, the gauge was pegged out in the red. I thought maybe if I turned the car off and back on it would "reset" it, thinking maybe this was a error. When I restarted the car, the gauge was still in the red and I got the message again about the car being hot. They said that since the fan wasn't kicking in I would get warm air blown in my car and this could also cause the vehicle to overheat. The total cost will be $641. I hope this is correct because I can't afford to have ANYTHING else done to this car!

Does this sound correct? If the coolant fan doesn't work will it cause the A/C to not function properly and the car to overheat? I just don't know how all of that systematically works.
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't know how hard it is to change the coolant fan on an Equinox, but it cant be that hard. $641 seems rather high to me. You can get the fan motor for less than $100 and the whole assembly for about $150. That leaves too much for labor.
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dvenza
The dealer called and said it was the coolant fan not kicking on. When I got the message that it was overheating, the gauge was pegged out in the red. I thought maybe if I turned the car off and back on it would "reset" it, thinking maybe this was a error. When I restarted the car, the gauge was still in the red and I got the message again about the car being hot. They said that since the fan wasn't kicking in I would get warm air blown in my car and this could also cause the vehicle to overheat. The total cost will be $641. I hope this is correct because I can't afford to have ANYTHING else done to this car!

Does this sound correct? If the coolant fan doesn't work will it cause the A/C to not function properly and the car to overheat? I just don't know how all of that systematically works.
Yes, it sounds correct. The radiator fans also blow air through the A/C condenser. No air going through the condenser = no cold A/C. This is why the radiator fans are supposed to kick on whenever the A/C is turned on. Notice that I say "fans" - there are actually two radiator fans on the 2005-2009 Equinox. It would be highly unlikely that they would both fail at the exact same time. I'd first check your fuses and relay for the radiator cooling fans.

I have heard of the plug going to the fan motors going bad too so I'd also check that.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default A/C erratic

About two summers ago the AC in my equinox starting cycling between the inside setting and the outside setting. It also seems that the fan kicks on high as soon as I start it. The air is somewhat cool but definitely not what it used to be. Any ideas?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

For one, don't continue driving around like that. Every time you overheat you are that much closer to killing your vehicles motor. Anytime you overheat, pull over as quick as you can and cut off vehicle immediately. I agree with OldChevy, it shouldn't be that expensive for the part but the labor could easily be 200. too if not mechanically inclined. Make sure after all is done, that coolant is topped off in case you boiled over
Old June 6th, 2015, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by dvenza
I bought a used 2008 Equinox from a very reputable dealer on January 31st. During this time, while driving, the AC would periodically blow a small amount of hot air but soon correct itself. When it would do this, it would change from recycled air to fresh air and not allow me to change back. Today, while idling, it started blowing really hot air and would only correct itself when I would drive. Also, later in the afternoon, I got the message "ENGINE HOT A/C OFF". I immediately took it up to the dealer when it cooled down. Any idea what all of this is? Does the overheating and the A/C correlate in some way? I'm so confused and mad. I hope this won't cost a fortune! Any help is truly appreciated!!
I used to work for GM and we had issues with some of the temp sensors. Both fans going at the same time is suspect. A bad sensor causing both to run would explain them burning out.I will try to jump mine individually and inspect the terminals. Then check the sensors and let you know since we are having the same issue it seems. The relay looks okay but it's different than the others so I can't swap to verify.fuses are good ran my test light over them and it lights up. I'm hoping it's a simple sensor.
Old June 6th, 2015, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Originally Posted by Jdoeding
I used to work for GM and we had issues with some of the temp sensors. Both fans going at the same time is suspect. A bad sensor causing both to run would explain them burning out.I will try to jump mine individually and inspect the terminals. Then check the sensors and let you know since we are having the same issue it seems. The relay looks okay but it's different than the others so I can't swap to verify.fuses are good ran my test light over them and it lights up. I'm hoping it's a simple sensor.

Looked at everything jumped fans then noticed the plug. The larger pin on the female side of the plug is charred. If I hold it in both fans run. Looks like the poster above was spot on with the plug suggestion.

Quick Reply: AC & Overheating Problems!! HELP!