Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Activate daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Activate daytime running lights?

I purchased a used 2005 Equinox LT here in Virginia. There's a ton of traffic here and I'd like the DRL's to be active. They aren't. I have no idea if they were supposed to be active (as they are in Canada where they're mandated) or if I need to do something to make them work.

Can anyone tell me if the DRL's are active as standard equipment on an '05? (I get no real answers from the dealer.) Or how I would go about making them work. I notice that the dash indicator for them flashes a few times when the auto headlights are made inactive at sunrise.

Thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 5:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. DRL is standard on the Equinox, all years. It could be that the previous owner disabled it for some reason. Check the DRL relay in the underhood fuse block. Also, the DRL resistor may have failed as documented in TSB #07-08-42-002. See thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...-lights-14651/. In either case, I'd think the selling dealership should fix the problem.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your help. Clearly the resistor replacement is a more involved process so I'll check the relay first but is there an easy way to test the relay?

And thank you for the welcome. I've been an active member of other forums and find the good ones invaluable. I try to give back when I have a clue; on this one I obviously don't yet. But I have another question that may be so silly that I can understand why there's no one addressing it.

I enjoy the Equinox but I've severely disappointed with the configuration of the cargo area. The all-too-clever shelving system there significantly decreases storage space. Is there a flat-wall replacement for the wheel well covers, maybe from one of GM's other products for that year?

Thanks again.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can bring out your multimeter and do some measurements to isolate the culprit. Pull the DRL relay and then make a note of the relay terminal numbers and corresponding sockets in the fuse block. Measure the resistance between terminal 30 socket in the fuse block and a known good chassis ground. The reading will give you the resistance value of the DRL resistor. If it's infinite, the culprit will be an open circuit on the DRL resistor side. Then, measure the voltage level at terminal 87 socket against a known good chassis ground. The reading will be some voltage (battery voltage minus voltage drop across headlamp filaments). If it's zero, there's an open circuit to the headlamps. Also, you can just try replacing the relay.

As for the cargo area, the Equinox was basically a Saturn VUE, in the class between CUV and SUV. People bought it for what it is and didn't much want aftermarket modifications.
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. Much help. I'll have to get ambitious but its good to have guidance.
Old January 25th, 2012, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

It is very common for the DRL resistor to go bad on this year of Nox. It is located behind the left inner wheel well cover on the frame. It is usually white with a round top and a square bottom where the 2 wire harness plugs into it. When they go you can usually tell by looking at it as it gets all cracked. Might be an easier first thing to check if your not comfortable with meters and such.

Last edited by Mynox; May 15th, 2012 at 8:31 AM.