Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Android phone play through audio system??

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2012, 8:07 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Android phone play through audio system??

My dealer is kind of clueless on these tech things ... I have a new Samsung III S, replaced my iphone, and I can no longer plug my new phone into the USB plug (the between the seats one) and get it to play music through the radio system. My old iphone you could plug it up and it would play what you were last listening to as well as allow you to pick any music on the phone to listen to. The Android phone does nothing! I plug it in and it will not even charge. So I have a plug in my lighter that is a USB and that charges the phone.
My new phone does bluetooth link up to the radio and cleanly shows incoming numbers. The on steering wheel controls answering the phone with no problems. The hands free system works great with the new phone. It's just the USB connection.

If it just can't work - I'm ok with it just would be nice if it was something simple I'm missing.
Old July 15th, 2012, 4:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rbutton
My dealer is kind of clueless on these tech things ... I have a new Samsung III S, replaced my iphone, and I can no longer plug my new phone into the USB plug (the between the seats one) and get it to play music through the radio system. My old iphone you could plug it up and it would play what you were last listening to as well as allow you to pick any music on the phone to listen to. The Android phone does nothing! I plug it in and it will not even charge. So I have a plug in my lighter that is a USB and that charges the phone.
My new phone does bluetooth link up to the radio and cleanly shows incoming numbers. The on steering wheel controls answering the phone with no problems. The hands free system works great with the new phone. It's just the USB connection.

If it just can't work - I'm ok with it just would be nice if it was something simple I'm missing.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I also recently upgraded to the Galaxy S III (love it), however do not have a USB in my vehicle, so I cannot offer any personal experience.

I have researched my resources; however, there is currently no information available regarding USB compatibility, most likely due to the phone being so new.

I encourage you to contact Samsung directly for additional information. Until additional information becomes available from Samsung, I recommend using the auxiliary jack.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 15th, 2012, 6:49 PM
New User

Quote from Samsung support...
Visitor: I have a new III S and wanted to connect it to my car - a Chevy Equinox to play through the radio... it will not connect via the usb. My old phone the iphone 4s did and functioned like additional storage. The new III S will not even charge on that usb connection BUT if I use the same cable and connect to the lighter adapter it charges... is it possible to get the new phone to work with my car?

Visitor: by the way it does connect via bluetooth - and all phone calls come through the car audio system
Norwell: I understand that you want to know if S3 phone connects to Chevy Equinox to play through the radio and charge the phone. Am I correct?
Visitor: yes
Norwell: Thank you for confirmation. I will be glad to assist you.
Visitor: Chevy Equinox 2011 with the enhanced audio system
Norwell: Thank you for information.
Norwell: Would you mind holding 3 minutes while I gather the required information on your request?
Visitor: k
Norwell: Thank you.
Norwell: Thank you for being on hold.
Norwell: I have checked with the details and I am sorry to inform you that Samsung S 3 phone doesn't support to connect Chevy Equinox 2011 enhanced audio system and doesn't take charge through USB cable.
Visitor: what about using it in airplane mode?
Norwell: Airplane mode too doesn't support connecting to Chevy Equinox 2011.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Is there a spot for an auxillary cable to go? In the 2012 there is one directly underneath the USB spot. If you have one just buy a cable pop it in and connect your phone. This is how I use my android phone.

Last edited by RumbleV; July 16th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 7:54 PM
New User

my Equinox has the in dash video, nav, rear seat display, etc. in addition to the little "speed-o" display in the middle of the gauges. Between the front seats is the console and inside of it is a "special" usb plug that feeds directly to the audio system. My iphone would plug into it and then form the dash or steering wheel i could pick what I wanted to listen to.
Yes there is the usual round audio plug in on the dash which would allow me to send the audio, instead of to ear phones, to the car system but you can not control the phone like you can using the usb plug in.
I was hoping that there was just some setting on the new Samsung III s phone I had not found yet - it's got LOTS of them! I'm ok with it, it was a kool feature. For now my way around it is I have an adapter that plugs to my phone to allow me to dump mp3's to a USB stick which I then plug in to listening to the music I have on my phone.
The plug in was nice BUT it's better that the bluetooth hooks up between phone and car! It works flawlessly! On my in dash display pops up the number info for incoming calls.
Some clever programmer will eventually come up with a way to connect them together.
I also lost my onstar unlock the doors from my cell phone feature but knew that going into making the phone switch.
Old July 19th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

it never ceases to amazing me how clueless people are to the techno-gadgets they buy, or how even more clueless the customer support centers are that are supposed to help support those techno-gadgets.

your iphone/ipod worked because your GM is specifically programmed for iPod Accessory Protocol (the proprietary APPLE computer language used to communicate to non apple devices) and MASS STORAGE DEVICES (the generic language for flash drives).

The Samsung uses MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) which is an Android Specific Protocol for transferring Media (music, video, photos) to 3rd party devices, and GMC does not support this, nor will they ever most likely..
The other sad thing is that while every other car manufacturer is now supporting Bluetooth Streaming via Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), GM is still 4 years behind the ball on this.

--

The bottom line is that GM is way behind in technology because of their affiliation with OnStar, while my 2005 Chrysler and my 2007 Toyota both have USB and BlueTooth abilities, GM did not implement these things until 2010 so yippy my 2010 Avalanche now has bluetooth handsfree and a ipod hookup, I still am forced to carry an ipod a for my music because I choose to use an Android phone.. But I can get into my 7 year old Chrysler and my Galaxy III hooks up to it's USB and charges and plays via it's bluetooth streaming.

--

As for the OnStar app, yup that is crapped out too because OnStar hasn't yet updated their crappy POS app to work with the high Def Screen Resolution on the SIII (even though the damn phone has been out since FEB around the world) and of course OnStar service is completely useless and has no idea when or IF they will address the issue, so you are left with a choice, cancel OnStar or pay them and wait it out.

Last edited by old-chevy-dude; July 19th, 2012 at 7:31 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by old-chevy-dude
...The other sad thing is that while every other car manufacturer is now supporting Bluetooth Streaming via Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), GM is still 4 years behind the ball on this.

--

The bottom line is that GM is way behind in technology because of their affiliation with OnStar, while my 2005 Chrysler and my 2007 Toyota both have USB and BlueTooth abilities, GM did not implement these things until 2010 so yippy my 2010 Avalanche now has bluetooth handsfree and a ipod hookup, I still am forced to carry an ipod a for my music because I choose to use an Android phone.. But I can get into my 7 year old Chrysler and my Galaxy III hooks up to it's USB and charges and plays via it's bluetooth streaming...
This might explain why my Galaxy SIII doesn't always stay connected to the bluetooth (phone or media) in our 2012 Equinox then. That stinks. We actually have two GSIII's and neither stays connected consistently. Somewhat irritating too.

I had hoped maybe a software update to MyLink or OnStar might help, but for the life of me I can not find where to download any updates for this (tried my.gm.com & onstar.com).

Oh well...back to my old but trusted Motorola T505 for BT calls I suppose.
Old July 29th, 2013, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

I'm stunned by the fact that I can't stream music via bluetooth from my Android phone in my 2013 Impala. The aux jack is a workaround, but there is no way to use the car's controls to make music selections on the phone. Is there some aftermarket add-on device that would permit this? I had a 2009 Ford Escape that would effortlessly stream music via bluetooth, but a 2013 Impala can't??
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Cool Equinox not compatible with Android

I was happy to find this information, but completely discouraged too. Had I known GM wasn't compatible with Android I may have kept my iPhone. I am able to use Bluetooth via the USB port however music does not play through the audio (auxillary). I had went as far as scheduling a service call with my dealership in which you would think by now they would be aware of this situation but the service manager did not have any knowledge so it seemed. I may have to call them and educate them or make them aware of this so the next person that comes in can easily be told it's not something they are doing wrong. Your music will simply not play through your car if you have anything other than an iPhone. Given this forum was active one year ago if anyone has found an alternative to using a Samsung Galaxy phone with the Equinox audio system I would love to hear about it.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Question Equinox not compatible with Android

I've been reading everyone's posts and didn't see any suggestions that seemed helpful. Have any of you check your media settings in your phones??
If a USB works with one, they should and usually work with all especially when it comes to charging. We recently had a customer come in that had an issue with connectivity S3 - Chevy Equinox...as it turned out, the setting for media in her phone was not correct. Her Galaxy S3 now works the way it was meant to. Please everyone, check your settings before you blame the car...apple happens to automatically choose media. Galaxy, not so much.

Quick Reply: Android phone play through audio system??