Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Backseat head rests and/or seatbelt removal?

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2007, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backseat head rests and/or seatbelt removal?

Hello,
Here is the deal: my kid thought it would be great to pass the rear seat seatbelt behind the headrest and then to the front (and in fact, it did help in a strange way to get it to not cut in his shoulders); but now, the seatbelt is stuck at the tense ponsition, where we cannot pull it to get it over the headrest.

We could solve this problem either by removing the headrest, and getting the seatbelt back in place, or by "reseting" the seatbelt tension, so that it allows us to stretch it again and pull it over the headrest.

Any help will be very appreciated!

Old April 1st, 2008, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Backseat head rests and/or seatbelt removal?

Hello plantgirl. My son did the same thing except in the front seat of his mom's '07 Equinox. I came here looking for an answer too. I'll come back if I find something.

Todd
Old April 1st, 2008, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Backseat head rests and/or seatbelt removal?

Okay, I just noticed that your post is about 4 months old. Hopefully you were able to fix the problem.

However, since I came looking, maybe someone else could benefit from this info. Apparently this applies to most newer GM vehicles.

Raise the head restraint ALL the way up. On the passenger side support bar, you'll notice a small 'pin hole' in the trim cover. Put a small nail or stiff paper clip in and push. You'll feel the relese mechanism 'give' against the pressure. Then pull head restraint up and out. Three hands make this a lot easier, but in can be done by one person.

Hope this will help someone in need.
Old June 14th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

I know this post is REALLY old but I just found it and it saved my sanity! It took me all of 1 minute to release my rear seatbelt from being stuck around the head rest. Thank you, ChevyTodd!