Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2012, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light switch

My left and right brake lights won't light when i press the brake. changed out all bulbs and replaced the fuse. wiring looks good. Is it the brake light switch? Thats the only possible item i know left. Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 8:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dallasp,

It's a possibility. You may want to have a certified technician take a look at it to be sure.

Keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Does the 3rd brake light illuminate? What year is your Equinox?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Brake light working

I am having the same problem. All three of the brake lights are out. We changed the bulbs and fuses. Is it the brake light switch? Where is that located? Please help!!!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

The top brake light illuminates just fine. It is an 05. The brake light switch is located underneathe the steering column. If you follow the brake pedal arm up and remove the undercover you will see it. Im just not sure how to remove it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

I was told it may also be caused by a bad socket. Going to inspect those soon.
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasp
I was told it may also be caused by a bad socket. Going to inspect those soon.
A bad socket would only cause one side to not work. Looks like it could be a wiring issue. The diagram shows one wire from the brake pedal switch feeding power to all three brake lights, but the power wire gets shared/split somewhere between the brake pedal switch and the brake lights. This rules out a bad brake pedal switch since the center brake light still works.

I've attached some wiring diagrams below.

2005 Exterior lamps 1of2.pdf
2005 Exterior lamps 2of2.pdf
Old July 1st, 2012, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

I have the identical issue. Left and right brake lights out, but top brake light works. I was curious if anyone has discovered the cause? (2006 LS). I've checked blubs and fuses. Any help or information would be appreciated greatly.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

The issue with mine ended up being the brake light socket. An easy repair since the only thing you have to do is remove the brake light assembly and then disconnect the plug/socket and replace. Check and see if you have any burns or discoloration inside the sockets...plastic melted over the 2 contact points inside. If not that then it could be the brake light switch which is a harder repair from what i understand.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 7:45 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by qsand13
I have the identical issue. Left and right brake lights out, but top brake light works. I was curious if anyone has discovered the cause? (2006 LS). I've checked blubs and fuses. Any help or information would be appreciated greatly.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> "dallasp" offers a great suggestion, it may be the socket. A wiring short or corroded wire is another possibility. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

Consider checking out GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts for the available parts.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

General Motors neither endorses nor maintains these sites and will not be responsible for any of its contents.

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; July 3rd, 2012 at 7:47 AM.