Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Coolant

Old November 7th, 2016, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

Hello.2007 equinox. Attempting to drain flush and refill coolant.System is only taking a little over 1 gallon of coolant on the refill. Specs State a little over 2 1/2 gallons should be in the system.Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 7th, 2016, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how did you drain the system?
Old November 7th, 2016, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
how did you drain the system?
At the radiator drain ****. Then flushed with water. Drained again at pepcock.

Removed thermostat, replaced gasket and water pipe. Flushed with water. Removed lower radiator hose to drain.

New thermostat and new upper and lower hoses. Refilled with 50/50 Dexcool, bled system at bleeder valve at water pump.

Heat in cabin has never been warmer, feels like it would burn if you left your hand in front of it for too long. Drove for at least 15 minutes ~60mph, with heat blasting and with heat off, temp gauge where it always is.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Old November 8th, 2016, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

I have since found one reference to an engine block coolant drain. Supposedly just below the starter, which is on the driver's side? Is this what I missed?
Old November 8th, 2016, 6:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 7474
I have since found one reference to an engine block coolant drain. Supposedly just below the starter, which is on the driver's side? Is this what I missed?
The engine block drain plug is just above/behind the starter which is located in the center of the block toward the front of the vehicle.
Old November 8th, 2016, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
The engine block drain plug is just above/behind the starter which is located in the center of the block toward the front of the vehicle.
Thanks for the reply.

I think I located it this afternoon in the area you described. It appears it has red thread sealant on it. I read it is very difficult to remove.
Old November 8th, 2016, 8:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

some block drains are a pita.

some people install flushing tee's to flush more out. When you flush with water and drain...you may need to add a slightly higher concentration than 50/50 due to water flushed into the system that does not completely drain.
Old November 14th, 2016, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies. I decided against the engine block drain since I read about problems going this route and have drained the coolant once more just from the radiator.

Checked antifreeze and have -10* to 261*.

Will drain and refill again with a check on the numbers. Hopefully that will get me to -35* to 265*.

Search this Thread