Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

dash removal

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2008, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash removal

just bought a 08 equinox sport and curious on how to remove the stock head unit.
any tips???????????
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: dash removal

with a plastic pry bar, push down the chrome rim around the shifter ****. there is a T-15 torx bolt that you need to loosen to remove the ****.
Pry the front cover from the console,(right below window switches), d\c the window switches.
E-Brake on, and put car into drive, then turn key back to accy.
pry up and out on the trim starting at the bottom where the switches are, and work your way up the sides to the vents at the top. The upper clips are usually in pretty tight so a firm pull may be in order.
once all the clip are out, remove all connectors from the upper buttons, the HVAC controls, and if you can, the traction control button. The release clip for it is on the top side of the button and is hard to get, so I usually just remove the entire button by releasing a few tabs on the sides with slight pressure from the top.
That should remove the trim so you can put it back into park and there's 4 7mm bolts holding the radio in.

If you happen to turn the ignition on while that trim is removed, you will set an airbag code. Don't worry about this too much. When you put the dash back together, turn the key off, lock the doors with remote, wait a couple mins, unlock and start the truck and the light should be out.

good luck man
Old April 12th, 2008, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know where the factory amp is? i am replacing the radio and need to know the wires for each speakerat the amp. Also would i lose my in car telephone and on star? I bough tthe vehicle with the pioneer system in it.ehh, its ok but i have 4-10s in a fiberglass enclosure going in and i cant really have a nice stereo with a factory head unit. thanks so much for the info shawnvw.
Old April 12th, 2008, 9:52 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly suggest you use an interface module for this install. GM uses the factory radio to produce chimes, the audible "Click" when the signals are activated, Onstar (which is your car phone) and the "beep" heard when the reverse sensors are activated(if equipped)

Using an interface module will keep all of these functions, as well as let you retain the use of your factory amp