Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Equinox Throttle Position Sensor/Stability Track / Reduce Engine

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2016, 10:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was an 06 and you pull off the lower part of the central consel, then slowly pry off the central bezel and just below the radio is the BCM. It takes 5 minutes tops. You do have to put the key in and move the shifter , to pull the bezel away, oh and there is a plug behind the lower piece that unplugs, it is the windows cable.
Old August 21st, 2016, 4:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank-you. I'll give it a shot after it cools down here.
Old December 15th, 2016, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I had the same issue with my 2011 Equinox this cold morning. I was driving my son to daycare and all of a sudden the various logos lit up on my dashboard and the engine power was suddenly reduced; I was quite scared not being able to drive over 20 mph! As with others, I was told I have to have my throttle body replaced. I was just wondering for those that have had it replaced, if this has "solved" the problem - and how long it has lasted. I guess I am just fearful that I am going to spend the $650 (as I was told) to have this replaced, and then have this situation suddenly arise again in a winter or two. Very scary indeed since there were NO warning indicators leading up to this!
Old December 18th, 2016, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

if this is a repeat problem for the chevy equinox< which it is. why is this problem not addressed by gm. i have read time and time again of this problem, and people have to pay out of pocket, maybe time to switch brands if that is how they treat there customers?
Old December 19th, 2016, 4:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default So Many Problems With Equinox Throttle Body/Stability Traction!!!!

Is there a way for all of us Equinox owners, no matter what year, to start a class action suit again Chevrolet for the Throttle Body incidents? I know
I had the vehicle at under 50,000 miles when it occurred and it was not under warranty but it's obviously a flaw!!

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
I put my vehicle on a scanner to find out what the problem was. It came back with a code saying "Throttle Position Sensor" so what I did was look up the code to find out more information about the TPS. I then went to other mechanics and asked them about the TPS and I had them put it on a scanner as well.

I took my vehicle to Chevrolet to check it out and to get the part, they told me that TPS is not a separate part but a butterfly mechanism assembly an that I would have to replace the entire Throttle Body. I was floored because it is a 2007 Equinox that I have. I was shocked that it would even have this problem this early on. Well anyway, I went home and came back because they could not help me out at that time because they were really busy and could not take time out.

I called and talked to someone in service and got the cost for the part for the Throttle Body and of course I went ahead and paid for it. So that I could bring the vehicle in to be serviced by the time the part got to the dealership. Well I get there and a service person tells me that it is not the Throttle Body but the Acceleration Pedal and that I should only replace it because I would be wasting money replacing something else that may not need to be replaced.

Well I got a refund for the Throttle Body since it was not in yet and paid for the Acc. Pedal and got the vehicle repaired that next morning. My vehicle is still acting up and doing the same thing that it was doing before. The Stability Traction Light and Reduce Engine Problem still comes on.

I am really angry now because I should not have let the so called service mechanic talk to me out of replacing what I felt was wrong with my vehicle. I put my vehicle once again on the scanner and I got the same thing TPS - P0121. I called the Chevrolet again and told them of the situation (I am waiting on an answer still) how did they come up with the Acceleration Pedal when myself and others came up with TPS for the Throttle Body to be replaced. I was told that it was what they got as a code and not what I or other people had as a code.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was actually replaced or repaired? Need answers ASAP Please!!!!!!
Old February 29th, 2020, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
I put my vehicle on a scanner to find out what the problem was. It came back with a code saying "Throttle Position Sensor" so what I did was look up the code to find out more information about the TPS. I then went to other mechanics and asked them about the TPS and I had them put it on a scanner as well.

I took my vehicle to Chevrolet to check it out and to get the part, they told me that TPS is not a separate part but a butterfly mechanism assembly an that I would have to replace the entire Throttle Body. I was floored because it is a 2007 Equinox that I have. I was shocked that it would even have this problem this early on. Well anyway, I went home and came back because they could not help me out at that time because they were really busy and could not take time out.

I called and talked to someone in service and got the cost for the part for the Throttle Body and of course I went ahead and paid for it. So that I could bring the vehicle in to be serviced by the time the part got to the dealership. Well I get there and a service person tells me that it is not the Throttle Body but the Acceleration Pedal and that I should only replace it because I would be wasting money replacing something else that may not need to be replaced.

Well I got a refund for the Throttle Body since it was not in yet and paid for the Acc. Pedal and got the vehicle repaired that next morning. My vehicle is still acting up and doing the same thing that it was doing before. The Stability Traction Light and Reduce Engine Problem still comes on.

I am really angry now because I should not have let the so called service mechanic talk to me out of replacing what I felt was wrong with my vehicle. I put my vehicle once again on the scanner and I got the same thing TPS - P0121. I called the Chevrolet again and told them of the situation (I am waiting on an answer still) how did they come up with the Acceleration Pedal when myself and others came up with TPS for the Throttle Body to be replaced. I was told that it was what they got as a code and not what I or other people had as a code.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was actually replaced or repaired? Need answers ASAP Please!!!!!!
Im going through the same thing has anyone come up with a solution I'm not getting any where
Old January 4th, 2022, 11:45 AM

Default Check for Service Bulletins

There is a known issue of water leaks from the sunroof going down the A pillars and into the dashboard.

I had the full symptoms of limp mode, traction control light, CEL, and ABS light on a wet day. Paid to have it towed to the dealership where my uncle works, paid to have a tech scan it, and he said it needed a new accelerator pedal and throttle body, and that it had so many codes that it wasn't worth fixing. They charged me for plugging in the scan tool, and I flatbedded it home, where I changed the pedal out, and rescanned it. It was only then that I realized how many codes it was throwing. I checked online, and saw that there is a service bulletin on this for water leaks. Some of you may indeed have bad throttle bodies, but don't assume that your tech wasn't too lazy or too stupid to open Global and check for service bulletins.

Water gets into a 40-pin connector and fouls up communication. I didn't even have to clean the contacts. I caulked the sunroof shut with silicone and let the heat run until the cabin was dry. Drove it around a lot with no further issues.

This is why the problem is intermittent. Most people won't realize that there's a bad leak until they see wet carpet and fogged up windows.

Pull the fuse for your sunroof and seal the damn thing shut. The man who invented the sunroof is surely roasting for eternity.