Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Gas smell free fix

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2017, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell free fix

I have a 2007 equinox. Has gas smell bad. By back pass door. Chevy said not covered. But got it fixed at dealer free. It is under a extended factor warranty. Because the plastic fuel line on pump was broken. They knew it would sooner or later break. Got fixed at dealer new fuel modual. W is fuel pump. Free. Free free. Don't get left out. Service extension is what they call it. To see if it's that. Pull tire of back passenger. And look at top r on tank. You should see gas if it's it. Around where fuel pump goes in
Old January 21st, 2017, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roger gordon
I have a 2007 equinox. Has gas smell bad. By back pass door. Chevy said not covered. But got it fixed at dealer free. It is under a extended factor warranty. Because the plastic fuel line on pump was broken. They knew it would sooner or later break. Got fixed at dealer new fuel modual. W is fuel pump. Free. Free free. Don't get left out. Service extension is what they call it. To see if it's that. Pull tire of back passenger. And look at top r on tank. You should see gas if it's it. Around where fuel pump goes in
I'm currently having the same problem. Strong gas smell. Had local garage put it up on the hoist and behold, the R/R outside of the fuel tank was covered in gasoline residue leaking from the top of the tank somewhere. They pulled the tank to investigate where the leak was coming from (couldn't see the top of the tank, I guess) and they determined that it was the plastic housing on top of the primary fuel pump, where the fuel lines tie in.

Looking online, it looks like a sending unit, and is a one piece assembly with the entire fuel pump, float, and sensor. They want $650 (OUCH!) for the entire assembly (they say that the plastic sending unit is not replaceable by itself.

What did you do to get the dealer to pay for it. My local garage wants $1000 (parts + labor) to replace the entire fuel pump assembly.

Last edited by Silent H; January 21st, 2017 at 1:32 AM. Reason: spelling error