Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Having problems starting my 2005 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems starting my 2005 Equinox

I hope some one can help me out. I am having a problem with my 2005 Equinox. I bought it brand new it has 28,000 miles on it. I have recently brought my vehical in 3 times going on 4 tomorrow with a starting issue. It hesitates to start after already being drivin. It will start right up first thing in the morning but then I will get to work leave it any where from 2mins to a couple hours and go to start it up and itcranks for a few seconds shut the key down and try again. This will happen any where from 1-3 times before actually starting.The other thing that happensto it while I am trying to start it it cranks I let my hand off the key and the car continue's to crank on its own.My vehical is still under warrenty butbecauseit hasntdone it for them or theres no code or light they will not do anything about it.It has happened not only to me but for the two mechanics that I work for who have also spoken to the dealership on the phone suggesting that it is the ignition switch. They saidthat they were thinking the same thing but a couple hours later said they couldnt replace the part until it either happened more frequintly whereit happens to them or if the check engine light comes on.Does any one have any ideas of what the problem could be or if it has happened to u or suggestions?
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Having problems starting my 2005 Equinox

hey my name is tara and i have had the same problem with mine aside all the other problems i bought an 06 in dec. of 05 and i have 47000 miles on it,get this its been in the shop24 times.first problem was cd player peplaced it 4 times,starting problems identical to yours 3 times,odor2times,fuel pump went out at 12000 miles,getting low mileage 140 to a tank of fuel,delay in computer when starting,breaks being replaced at 8000 miles its been a horrific situation.i love it after all the problems i love it its beutiful and what i wanted,but i didnt want the mechanical bliss with it.in your owners manual there is a number for the BBB(BETTER BUS. BUREU)THE NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A PROBLEM CALL THEM.THEY MADE CHEVYCOME TO A 100 PERCENT AGREEMENT WITH ME WITH IN 12 DAYS OF MY REPORTI GOT OVER 900.00IN CASH REIMBURSMENTS,I WAS IN MISS. WHEN THE FUEL PUMP FAILED ,THERE WERE NO PUMPS IN STOCK CAUSE THE VEHICLE WAS SO NEW I HAD TO STAY THERE FOR A WEEK,A100,000 MILE EXTENDED WARRANTY,A PROTECTON PLAN FOR 2 YEARS FREE OIL CHANGES PLUS MORE.THEY EVEN OFFERED TO BUY THE CAR BACK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF US PAYING FOR THE MILEAGE DIFFERENCE BBB DOES NOT MESS AROUND AND CHEVY WILL DROP FOR THEM.GET ME BACK
Old May 2nd, 2007, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same starting problem as you and the other gal that replied to your post. My nox is at the dealer today because the check engine light came on 2 days ago and my car started over heating yesterday. In addition to these problems, I also asked them to check the starter problem....again. So far they haven't been able to get it to act up when they start it, so they haven't been able to correct the problem either. I love my car but at only 2 1/2 years old it should not have this many problems.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 Equinox and I've been having the starting issue since November. The first time it happened, it acted like it didn't want to start, but finally turned over. I went to back out of the driveway and it died. It took a couple of attempts, but I was able to get it started. I took it straight to the local dealer and it fired right up...go figure. I was told, the battery cable was loose. The tech tightened it and I was "good to go!" This was also the day I noticed the sloshing of the water in the spare tire compartment. With that, I took the car to a larger dealer and found out that there was a body seam leak and water had been coming through the panels and soaking the floor. We hadn't noticed it, because we hadn't had much rain...until then.

I've had issues with the air/heat not working correctly. Air blowing heat and heat blowing air. I've had to have the seat belt on the front passenger side replaced. It came out halfway and wouldn't go back in or out.I went to take the kids to school on Monday morning and the radio had no volume. I had to power the radio off and back to get it to work, it's been fine since then. Dealer said they didn't think that was going to be a problem...as some GM cars do that.

My main concern is the starting issue. It's been going on for 6 months and I have no solution. GM has no solution. It doesn't do it when I take the car in. The dealer can't duplicate it, so they can't fix it. They've replaced the battery, battery cable and reset the 02 sensor...whatever that is. None of this has fixed my problem. They've put a monitor on the car and I was to push a button when it did it. I did that, thought I got two great recordings only to find out a few days later that the monitor collected no data. The dealer saidthe problem must have been happening too fast.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem with the starting issue? I'm taking this car to Florida in less than 4 weeks and I want it to start.
I'm in contact with GM and am waiting to see if they'll put an extended warranty on it since it's had so many problems and no solution to this one.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Bluemoo, my Equinox had the check engine light come on about a month ago...forgot about that one...and it was a fan motor. They should hopefully be able to hook it up to that monitor and tell you what's going on. Good luck, everyone.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Angie!!

Ipicked my Equinox up from the dealer last night. They still weren't able to duplicate the starting problem but they went ahead and replaced the starter switch to see if that would help. I forgot to mention that about 8 months ago they checked the starting problem, couldn't find anything and made me a new key (their thought on that was that my key looked worn and maybe it just needed a new one ~ ha!!).

Theyreplaced several modules in my vehicle to take care of the check engine issue and put a new thermostat in to take care of the engine overheating problem.

It purrs like a kitten again, so hopefully they have taken care of everything. I really do love my vehicle and would consider another one next time I am in the market for a new car.[sm=signs003.gif]
Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had a couple customers come back for 'dieing' the vehicle just died on the highway, and all electrical turned off, this has something to do with the factory command start and they had to reflash the computer and replace one...does yours have command start?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Mine doesn't have an automatic start.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Sweetiedee and Bluemoo2,

This is a few years late of a response but my 2006 Equinox has had intermittent issues starting up like you've described with yours this month. I'd like to know if your issues have gotten resolved and if they have been, what repair actually fixed them.

Thanks!
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default startin problem

Mine does the same thing. I'd LOVE to know the answer to that question. I've been through all of the same things as you all have.

Quick Reply: Having problems starting my 2005 Equinox