Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Changing system question

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2020, 2:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing system question

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox V6. The battery light will come on and will enter "Battery saving mode." It doesn't happen very often. Sometimes it will run fine for months and months with no problems. Think it happens more often when it's cold outside.

So I replaced the battery and it still happens. Then replaced the alternator. Still happens. Figured out if I shut the car off and restart it the light and message goes a way. So I hooked up an OBD2 reader and using the Torque app I can see the voltage from the control module reads 15ish volts and the OBD adapter will read 13ish volts. After about 10 minutes the control module will drops to 11ish volts and the voltage from the OBD adapter drops to 10ish volts. Again if I restart the car the both will go backup to where they should be. So it would seem when the battery light comes on there is a problem. I am stumbled on why restarting the car fixes the problem. Never had a problem with the car starting either.

Both the alternator and battery tested fine at the auto part store, but I expected that since Torque app showed they were putting out what they should. I know GM/Chevy's will vary the voltage output depending on the status of the battery and driving. Think I read there are 6 different levels it will output. I can see theat while driving in the Torque app.

So what should I check or do next....? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old February 16th, 2020, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the charging modes of operation should never put the battery light on. the lowest it should get is 12.6 volts is my understanding. not sure what you fix would be.