Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Headlight Adjustment Equinox

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2011, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment Equinox

Can the headlights be adjusted on the 2007 Equinox LT without removing the entire front grill for access?

The aim is entirely too high for oncoming drivers.

Thanks for any guidance . . .
Old February 7th, 2011, 7:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Unfortunately, the headlights are not adjustable on 2005-2009 Chevy Equinox & Pontiac Torrent. People flash their high beams at us alot too and it gets annoying after a while.
Old February 18th, 2011, 3:31 AM
CF Beginner

I had to replace both my Headlamps, and when I installed them, I noticed my lights were pointing up in the air. Best way to judge your aim, is to pull your Nox up to a garage door or a wall and make sure you're on a level surface. You can definitely tell what is going on when you do this. On the back of the Headlamp assembly, there is a philip with washer like screw, that shows and tells you how to adjust the lights vertically. There is no Horizontal Adjustment.
Old February 19th, 2011, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks - the issue was access to any adjustment on the 2007 Equinox headlights without removing a good part of the front bodywork. I fear that ruley73's response is the only solution short of taking everything apart and reassembiling.
Old February 19th, 2011, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't take mine apart...you just need to have the right angled tools to get to it. Swivels and such. Goodluck.
Old February 19th, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Also ruley stated, they cannot be adjusted which is not true, because they can.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Well, I stand corrected. There is a vertical adjustment screw. However, it is not labeled at all and does not tell you which direction to turn the screw to move the headlamp upward or downward. You don't need to remove the headlamp or need any special tools to make this adjustment. All you need is a regular #2 phillips screwdriver with a reach/length of about 4 inches. If you look just to the outside of the inner screw that holds the headlamp in place, you will see an opening where you can insert the screwdriver.

Hold the screwdriver in firmly and turn the screwdriver clockwise to move the headlamp downward or counterclockwise to move the headlamp upward.

I've attached a couple pictures below to help illustrate this.

Headlight Adjustment Equinox-lh.jpg Headlight Adjustment Equinox-lh1.jpg

Last edited by ruley73; February 20th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedStone (February 22nd, 2020)
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Thank you - problem solved - the picture not only shows where the adjustment is, but also how to make the adjustment without having to remove anything.

I can't imagine how you took the picture without first having to remove the headlight altogether. My model 2007 Equinox has both of the headlights installed right up against the substantial metal cross bodywork - behind which is the air filter on the passenger side and what appears to be the battery compartment on the driver side - making the back of the headlight totally inaccessible on my vehicle for pictures and identification of the adjustment.
Old February 21st, 2011, 2:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Yes, I did have to remove the headlamp assembly to get these pictures. I've done it enough though that I actually find it to be relatively easy. The owner's manual incorrectly states that you must remove the four push rivets that hold the grille on. You don't have to remove them. Just remove the four 10mm bolts that are further upward, and carefully pull the chrome (plastic) bezel off the grille & headlights.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Damn Canadian SUV! LOL

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Equinox