Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Question

Hi All,

Bought a set of HIDs installed them on my 06 nox then when I tried to turn the lights on, nothing happened.

Specs on the ballast are as follows:

VIN 9-16V
VNorm 13.2V
INorm 3.5A
LinMAX 10A
Pout 35w

Are these specs proper for my vehicle or should I consider bringing them back to the store?

Thanks in advance.

L
Old May 9th, 2011, 4:22 AM
CF Junior Member

hmm, since you didnt get a reply, i would check what the amperage is on the standard headlight, and see if its within 20% of the INorm , in your case. actually, now that i think of it, maybe its the startup amperage thats killing it.

Try to put one factory headlight in the other side, with your HID in the other, and see if 1, or 2 light. If you get one of the HID's to turn on this way i would suspect that the total start up amperage of both of them is overloading a safety circuit and that there is only one supply for both of them. If only one works(the factory one, and not the HID in the other side), then i would suspect that their might be seperate safety circuits, ie.. breakers that are tripping. in either case it would be an indication that you would have to beef up the breaker, if possible or maybe beef up the relay if possible to a higher amperage rating. If you get nothing, then just try one HID by itself with nothing in the other side.

see if you can find out the startup up amperage of those headlights, its quite possibly what the LinMAX figure is. To me LinMAX, means Line Max, but im not clear if that means the line that feeds(ie.. the available current), or the startup draw of the headlight. assuming its the startup draw, then with 2 headlights, its putting an immediate 20A load on the system as soon as they are switched on, until they warm up for a second, then the load drops to 3.5A x2, so 7 amps on the headlight circuit in normal running conditions. If this was the case, and if you have a 20A breaker, or relay, its being peaked out, and needs to be beefed up to atleast 25A.

this might help...

Last edited by wolfdogg; May 9th, 2011 at 4:28 AM.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks wolfdogg. So basically it's just a change of relay? I tried your suggestions about trying one stock headlight and the other side with the HID, and with just the HID by itself but nothing worked. I also pulled out the DRL fuse (the one on the engine compartment behind the battery....unless there is another one) but that didn't worked as well. I was doing some research too and read on some articles about covering the night sensor on the dash, will something that simple do the trick?

Anyway, I've been waiting so long about someone kind enough to share their thoughts and you were that person so thanks so much.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, would you be able to give me a detailed instruction (with pictures if possible) on how to change the relay to a 25A, and on that note about bumping up the relay amperage, is that gonna burn my stock bulbs if I decided to switch back to them or is that gonna be safe?

Thanks so much. Hear from ya soon.
Old May 11th, 2011, 5:40 AM
CF Junior Member

a change of relay would be my first take on it, yes.

im not completely familiar with equinoxes to help you on some of your requests, but am good at electronics. did you happen to check the relay specs? lets start there. short of me having to pull mine apart, since your already looking at the parts, what have you found so far for the relay? list the specs if you can. (the amperage in particular) read the ones you have found in your nox that are related to the headlights.

from what you have said, im going to take an educated guess that the system for each headlight are seperate ( you did try the HID by itself , 1 only right?), and this is probably because of redundancy so if one system fails you dont lose both your lights. either way, it wont help us unless we can find "2" relays now it seems. or i can try to look at some schematics for you if we cant find 2 relays.

and beefing it up will not blow your other headlights, because the draw is determined by the light itself, not by the supply. increasing the supply is not increasing the amperage, unless the light draws it.

if its the relays in the fusebox, you just pull them out, and push them back in. so let me know if its one of those bigger black ones in the fuse box, or a smaller one. and that will buy some time until i get a chance to take a look under my hood to help. once we determine this, we can find a replacement relay, i think they are standard pinouts (where the pins are located) so shoudl eb easy to locate a beefier one. but dont get your hopes too high, because if there is some other safety system limiting it somewhere, it could be difficult to find out how to address that. :-)

Last edited by wolfdogg; May 11th, 2011 at 5:47 AM.