Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How to disable traction control?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable traction control?

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox LT with AWD. I was wondering if there was a way to disable traction control? If so, will this also disable the AWD because they use the ABS Speed Sensor?

I pulled the ABS power fuse and both the traction control light and abs light came on (which I knew would happen). But my question is if the AWD would continue to work.

Thanks
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt it. Most of the power for the ABS and TX is routed through the TCM. So you may not have all wheel drive functions and additionally there may be some trans. code sent to the PCM because of that. The VSS and ABS are all linked together and TCM can force a downshift in an emergency situation on cars with TX.
Old November 10th, 2010, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Hi RacerX,

Thanks for the reply. I am having problems with the traction control coming on randomly in the rain. I owned the vehicle for about two years and never had an issue. Now, for the past six months, any standing water tends to trip the traction control (both city and highway driving).

Any suggestions on what it could be? I have taken it to the dealer about five times and they say all updates have been uploaded on the computer, no codes, etc.

Thanks
Old January 17th, 2012, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem when it rains. Hope someone has an answer for us.
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Joe90,

I ended up selling the Equinox about 6-7 months ago.

However, before I sold the vehicle I ended up buying a new ABS/Traction control sensor for the rear left hub (ebay roughly $35). When I was rotating my tires a few months prior, I noticed the wire was a little kinked from it being poorly mounted. I was assuming the wire was giving the computer a false read, so I replaced the wire and zip tied it to the frame a little more securely.

I drove it about two months like that and never had another issue. I was assuming it was the back left, but if it continued to give me issues, I would have swapped out the new one and tried the same process in the right rear hub.

I think the 05 Equinox's are notorious for the hubs going out around 50k, so that was my next fix. I just got sick of fixing all the worn out parts, I decided to sell it.
Old February 24th, 2013, 7:36 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

hi i have a chevy avalaunch year 2007 an the track lite is on an i cant get it off an am seeing a message sayiny traction control off service traction control and stabilatrack off how can i fix this thank you
Old February 24th, 2013, 9:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrie grant
hi i have a chevy avalaunch year 2007 an the track lite is on an i cant get it off an am seeing a message sayiny traction control off service traction control and stabilatrack off how can i fix this thank you
There isn't much you can do until you know what's wrong. I'd suggest checking the wiring going to the wheel speed sensors. If that checks ok, you'll need to take it to a dealership or other reputable shop to have it properly diagnosed.
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to shut off the traction control; push the traction control button...look for the button with a car and squiggly lines underneath. Think its by the shift lever on those models.

it will not disable the awd.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrie grant
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> kerrie grant,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. Issue like this can be difficult to diagnose without a vehicle inspection. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for a additional assistance.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis
GM Customer Service