Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2011, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key getting stuck in ignition?

I tried to do a search but couldn't find a thread about this so I apologize if it's been discussed a bunch already.

My key gets stuck in the ignition about 9/10 times when I turn the car off. It took me 5 minutes to get it out when I got to work this morning. I've tried wiggling the steering wheel, pressing/not pressing the brake, re-shifting out and back into park, pulling the shifter "trigger", etc. It has become unbearable! I found a different forum online where a lot of people had the same problem but no one had an answer. It did this right when we bought the car brand new and they replace the gear shift. It did fine until about a year ago. I'd love to find an answer other than "replace it again" so if anyone has a trick or an easy fix that my husband (who is very car-repair savvy) could do, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

mommymoo,

I am sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue. What type of vehicle do you have?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have an '07 Equinox LT.
Old June 14th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Active Member

Try some powdered graphite lubricant in the key hole. It sounds like the tumblers are sticking to me. And graphite is the only way to lubricate a key lock cylinder. Things like WD40, silicone spray or the likes will only attract more dirt. If that doesn't work, you might consult a reputable locksmith.
Old June 21st, 2011, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

My problem trying to remove the key but the the ignition won't turn all the way to remove the key. Sometimes I have to sit and wait and hear a little click sound and I can turn they key far enough to remove. I've had it with this problem and when I talked to a dealer about it, he had never heard of it before, so I was hoping to get some info give them as a starting poiint. I have a 2008 Equinox.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I had this problem a couple months ago. It turned out to be a dime that fell into the shifter slot in front of the shifter. This prevented the shifter from going all the way forward, which in turn prevented the key from being able to be turned to the OFF position because of the shifter & key interlock feature.

Before causing unnecessary and costly damage by trying to rip the key out without first turning the key to the OFF position, with the engine turned off try engaging the parking brake (to prevent the vehicle from moving), then drop the shifter into L and observe the shifter slot for any obstructions (like the dime that I mentioned earlier in my case), then give it a firm shove into Park. It worked for me and I haven't had the problem since.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Active Member

That's good information, ruley73. Just yesterday I noticed four pennies in that same area of the wife's Equinox. I told her not to put coins there because they could cause problems of that nature. Thanks for verifying that for me. I appreciate it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Hello

I have a Chevy HHR (2010)...and my key is stuck in the on position. No body could tell us anything over the phone, they all wanted to tow it.($$$$) My car would not shut off, so my husband unplugged the battery and finally after unplugging a few other things??? it shut off. We had just come back from a weekend trip and didn't want to lose 1/2 tank of gas, which is what the tow companies said to do, before they would tow it. ($$$$) This is our first AMERICAN car since we were kids, it has seriously shaken our faith in Chevy, especially after having seen on line how many issues they have with it and yet do not take the responsibility to fix it. Are they waiting to screw up like Toyota? My Toyota was a good one...never any problems other than wear and tear...sorry GM, you may be losing a customer.
Old September 18th, 2011, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Finally, a solution

After taking my card to the dealer for the THIRD time, they figured it was a defective switch at the shifter. Hope this helps.
Old June 26th, 2012, 9:36 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default ignition stuck

Having problems with the ignition won't turn. Car key will not turn car on. Saw several complaints about this. Why isn't it a recall? How do we fix it. Can't drive car!!!

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?