Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Old May 21st, 2014, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a little tricky and I would only trust a dealer to fix it. Have them check the shift sensor.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Aggie83,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your key getting stuck in the ignition of your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will gladly look further into this concern for you. Please feel free to send a private message referencing this thread if any extra assistance is needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 25th, 2014, 1:05 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

mine does the same thing except it wont start either.also the gauges in the dash stop working sometimes and the ac and the turn signals and also the windows wont go up or down .done had it at the chevy dealership and they charged me 1000.00 and still haven't fixed it .that's bad general motors when yall make it and cant fix it
Old August 26th, 2014, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Equinox '07

Originally Posted by mommymoo
I have an '07 Equinox LT.
I write here like 6 or 7 months ago with the same issue, I am frequently check the comments to find something that help me to fix my car, but I saw a lot of complain for the same reason. The most useful and logic that I saw is a sensor or switch at the shifter, but I am NOT sure..... I would like to contact the Chevrolet Customer Service to check with them before pay something..

Viera
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi roadhog and viera,

We truly apologize for the frustrations caused and would be happy to assist in contacting your dealership regarding technical advice. Please feel free to send us a private message at any time with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may help.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

First of all, this is a well-documented problem online, and shame on Chevy for not just recalling it and saving all their customers all the hassle of dealing with it.

I did figure out an easy trick that works for me to get the key to release from the ignition:

Problem: When you put the shift lever into PARK and turn the key, the car engine will shut off but the key won't turn all the way and come out. Here's how I get around it.

I simply depress the button/trigger on the gear shift WITHOUT moving it out of PARK. I leave it in PARK, depress the trigger on it about 5 times quickly, and you will hear a click at the ignition that tells you that the key has been released. You can now move the key all the way clockwise and remove it.

So just leave car in PARK with engine off, depress the shift button/trigger repeatedly until you hear the click and the key will unlock. Works for me every time.

Spoke to the dealer about it, and HE SAYS eventually a part inside the shift assembly will wear down and the trick will no longer work. Don't know if he's telling the truth or if he's just trying to "up sell" more work.

He said it's a small piece within the shift assembly, but they can't just replace the small part so they have to replace the entire shift assembly. Of course.

This problem frustrated me greatly until I figured out my work-around trick. Again, Shame on Chevy for not taking care of their customers the right way.

Hope this helps !
Old October 20th, 2014, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Rob in LA,

I've been dealing with this for two years. I took it to my local Chevy dealer, but I bought it used and of course my warrantee didn't cover the new ignition switch they said I needed. Didn't fix the problem. I went on here and heard about the sensor. I had the "shift sensor" replaced - still have the same problem. I'm afraid I'm going to ruin my transmission because I get so frustrated. I'm going to try your trick and see if it helps. It pisses me off that Chevy will not take any responsibility for this problem. I've spent over $500 trying to fix a problem that arrived with the car! This will be my LAST Chevy purchase...I'm going back to Ford.
Old October 20th, 2014, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Here's an update to my post from a few days ago, concerning the key stuck in ignition.

I spoke to dealer again. Now he says to properly fix the problem, he wants to install TWO new items. Of course.

One is a Solenoid, which costs $34.00. The other is the shifter assembly, which costs $198.00.

This PLUS two hours of billed labor to install both. Not sure how much they charge for a labor hour, but I can bet it's not cheap.

He said replacing both would fix it. He said if you get one without the other, you might still have a problem.

You never know if you can trust these dealers. Heck, he was also trying to up-sell me a fuel injector cleaning ( $155.00 ) that I don't really need ! So I would only trust these guys as far as you can throw them, which is not very far.

I didn't bite on their repairs. I'll continue to use my work-around trick until further notice and save some $$. See my earlier post for the work-around.

Hope this helps !
Old October 21st, 2014, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pamt523
I think this is a little tricky and I would only trust a dealer to fix it. Have them check the shift sensor.
Thanks
Old December 16th, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

My young niece has a 2012 Captiva and three times the dealer has fixed the ignition problem and three times in the last few months it has been back in the shop after not starting and the keys being stuck in the ignition. Last night she picked it up again, after they said it was fixed, and this morning it wouldn't start and the keys are stuck again. Why isn't there a fix for this? She has a 2 month old baby and is so afraid that she is going to get stuck somewhere in the dead of winter with a car that won't start. I thought ignition problems where from earlier year vehicles. Seems just crazy that a dealer can't fix it. I would understand if it was a private ownership mechanic, but the dealer, really?? By the way, each time she has taken it in, it's still under warranty, they have it for a few WEEKS, but they do give her a nice vehicle to drive, thank goodness.

Last edited by dhuba; December 16th, 2014 at 3:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?