Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2015, 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deanise78
My husband restarted the battery. In doing so, the car would not turn over, nor the key would not come out ignition. The radio will turn on, and front lights but that is it. We had a mechanic look at it and he thought all the fuses looked fine, we replaced the battery and the code machine will not work. Have you guys ever ran in to this before? Thanks a bunch
Just saw this - I did the same thing (battery charge) and it blew the the 'Body Control Module'. I figured this out using a Haynes maintenance manual, but had to take it to the dealer because it required programing. I told them it was the BCM and yet they charged me 3 hrs labor to troubleshoot it. $700+ later and it has worked fine for over a year now.
So, if your windows/tail gate/key, etc don't work but you see the lights/radio do - the BCM is probably bad and you need to be abused by Chevy to get it fixed.
The onboard computer 'Bus' is down, so the code reader won't tell you anything.

P.S. I think this is was caused by the residual 'float voltage' left on the battery immediately after a charge when the battery is charged disconnected from the car.

Last edited by tomwalt; August 13th, 2015 at 9:25 AM.
Old December 9th, 2015, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key ignition problem

Could you help me? I am currently ha ing a problem trying to get this key out ..i have a 2011 and since buying it a year ago with no reported accidents i have replaced over $5000 in this car. I love chevy. My family worked for them. My uncle died a worker as a certified chevy mechanic. Not asking much sir but if any way we can do this without spending my life savings again would help lol

QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;221567] I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your ignition. Would you please describe the problem you are having?

You stated that you had the ignition switch replaced, when was this repair performed? Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this further?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello, Bry Allgood,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Do you have an automatic transmission, with a console

shifter on your vehicle?
Old December 24th, 2015, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default The same problem returns.

Originally Posted by Richtree7
I just purchased this 2012 Equinox 2 days ago from a dealer. It has 58,000 miles on it. Today the key got stuck in the iqnition. I jiggled the key, the shifter, the steering wheel, everything but no luck. Finally after driving the car for an additional 15 minutes I stopped at a convenience store. When I turned the iqnition off this time...Voila! no problem. It slipped out as easy as pie.

After just purchasing this car and reading this forum about the problem and lack of manufacturers response I am worried about this issue. I will take it back to the dealer in the morning to see what they have to say about it.
I have no desire to take money out of my pocket to fix a car I just bought 2 days ago.

Thanks to those that have posted about this problem previously.
As you can see I posted about this problem 10 months ago when I purchased this car used.
Here we are about 10 months later and key got stuck in the ignition again. First time since Feb. Happened at 1:30 a.m. this morning. Now the battery is dead because I left the key in and figured I would simply drive the car to a service garage during business hours.. 'Thought' I had turned the radio and all lights off but it went dead anyway. Now waiting for road service to come, at $85.00 a whack, to give me a jump. Then off to the dealer I guess...unless the jump will miraculously allow me to remove the key.

This is something Chevrolet should fix. It is apparently not an unusual problem with the Chev Equinox.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default ATTN: Chevy Staff

Its been an ongoing problem with my Equinox 2009. Key would only turn halfway. I usually just leave the key but lock the car. This time, mycar wont start. It probably drained my battery! I am so angry right now. This is the first and last time I will be buying an Equinox! I am planning on buying a new car within the next 3-6months. I am waiting for tow truck to bring it to the dealership! Ih what a hassle! Never again, Chevrolet!!! If Chevy will contact me regardjng this issue, I would appreciate it!
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

I have been having this problem for the past year. I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox and when I put the car in park and turn it off the key will not come out. At first me and my wife had to wait a few minutes for it to get out, then it took a little longer, not it takes a few hours to get out. We are so frustrated with how much time we have wasted on this car. I have noticed that many people have paid a lot of money to "fix" the problem, only to find that the problem persists. We are newlyweds on a tiny budget and don't want to waste getting repairs that are not going to fix the problem. Chevy needs to fix this problem. This is the first car we have ever purchased and are extremely disappointed.
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by taywest101
I have been having this problem for the past year. I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox and when I put the car in park and turn it off the key will not come out. At first me and my wife had to wait a few minutes for it to get out, then it took a little longer, not it takes a few hours to get out. We are so frustrated with how much time we have wasted on this car. I have noticed that many people have paid a lot of money to "fix" the problem, only to find that the problem persists. We are newlyweds on a tiny budget and don't want to waste getting repairs that are not going to fix the problem. Chevy needs to fix this problem. This is the first car we have ever purchased and are extremely disappointed.
Hi taywest101,

We appreciate you updating this thread and we have responded to your private message. Please let us know if you have not received it or have any additional questions. We will keep an eye out for your response.

Best,

Cristina
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 21st, 2016, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

We have a 2008 Equinox with the same problem. We purchased it new from a dealer. My wife has the same problem removing the key. Sometimes I have to go out and do it. What I did at first was, step on the brake and move the shifter in and out of gear and slamming it into park. Then I found that if I wiggle the shifter side to side violently the key will turn to off and I can remove it. This sure does seem like a recall problem. I've always liked GM's especially Chevys, just like my father did. Thinking now it might be time to start looking at Nissans or Hondas. It seems their customer service is much better.
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our first Chevy Equinox was a 2006 model. The queen (my wife) had trouble starting it. The key would go in but you could not turn it to engage the starter. I took it back to the dealer. This was shortly after the car was new. The only service bulletins that pertained to hard starting was in the fuel system. So they performed a fuel system flush. It was a wonderful waste of my time. The car started just fine once the starter engaged but that was all they had to go on. Then they tried the starter relay, then the starter. Still. Finally they removed the key assembly and tossed it in the solvent tank and went to lunch. They then blew it out with compressed air and used another lube. Never had the problem again. The grease used by who ever made the key got real sticky on its own and any dirt, lent, and hairs on the key would stay with the lube.

It was inconvenient but it took some time to figure out the problem. My only real complaint was getting the dealer to address the complaint and not just apply what ever remedy that sorta was close to our compliant. Why it is true, it was hard to start, it was really turning the key not the actual starting function.

I understand how inconvenient this issue is and frustrating to get the dealer to perform the correct repair the first time. I know, I spent several hours in the waiting room why the changed everything but the sunroof (I do think they were thinking about it) but it is not the end of the world either. If it's not Chevy, it's one of the others. I know they all have issues. Just drive around any dealer, any brand and around back is a bunch of doors all with hoist with cars on them getting repaired.

isaac
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key getting stuck halfway off in the ignition

We bought a 2014 Camaro new and now that it has 40,000 miles on it, it has begun to have the same issue with the key not turning all the way to be released from the ignition like a ton of others on this forum. To get it to come out, we have been going into reverse or drive again and then pulling back in to our parking spot. This movement seems to then allow the key to turn all the way off. We loved our Camaro and we were going to buy another, but not after reading how people are treated by Chevy with this defect. Back to Honda!

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?