low beam does not work but high beam does - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Equinox

Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner
Default low beam does not work but high beam does

Having a problem with my girlfriends 2005 Equinox. Passenger side high beam works but low beam does not. Changed bulb 2x, no luck. Socket was cracked and 2 wires showed some corrosion, clipped wires and bought a new socket and installed it. Still same problem. Used a volt meter and can not find a difference between passenger and driver side either with lights on or off. RH/LH Headlamp fuses under the hood are OK. I am at a loss as to what it can be.

Can anyone tell me how these dual filament bulbs work? Seems like what appears to be the ground for low beam becomes energized when the high beams are on. Are the 3 wires wired in some sort of phases that switch? I had originally thought that one would always be ground and the others would be hot. I guess thats not it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't really want to pay someone $70/hour to fix this.