Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

mechanic says fuel pump bad

Old May 26th, 2011, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic says fuel pump bad

Chev equinox 2008

While on vacation, the fuel gauge began to stay on zero. Tried filling, but the tank was full. Went to a close GM service location and was told the it was probably a module of some sort and should be no problem driving.

Car ran fine, no problems starting or running. Drove home 3rd day 500 miles. Drove around home town 3 days waiting for an appointment with the local GM dealer.

This company has had the car 2 days and called today saying it was a bad fuel pump. I am not a mechanic, but sounds strange. Just wondered if I was being overly paronoid? Is this a case of faulty diagnosis? Thanks
Old May 26th, 2011, 4:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tvaughn
Chev equinox 2008

While on vacation, the fuel gauge began to stay on zero. Tried filling, but the tank was full. Went to a close GM service location and was told the it was probably a module of some sort and should be no problem driving.

Car ran fine, no problems starting or running. Drove home 3rd day 500 miles. Drove around home town 3 days waiting for an appointment with the local GM dealer.

This company has had the car 2 days and called today saying it was a bad fuel pump. I am not a mechanic, but sounds strange. Just wondered if I was being overly paronoid? Is this a case of faulty diagnosis? Thanks
Tvaughn,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Equinox. Please let me know if the issue is still occurring once you get your vehicle back from the dealership.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 26th, 2011, 6:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

If the vehicle runs & drives fine the primary fuel pump is fine, but the secondary fuel pump could be bad.

One of the fuel level sensors could be bad too causing the gauge to give a false reading.

Yes, the Equinox does in fact have two fuel modules and each has it's own fuel level sensor. The two modules are necessary due to the "saddle" design of the fuel tank which splits the tank into two portions or "reservoirs". The primary module is on the right side of the tank and contains a primary and secondary fuel pump. The primary fuel pump supplies the engine with fuel; the secondary pump pumps fuel to the "primary" (right) side of the tank via a cross tube. The secondary module is on the left and does not have a fuel pump in it. The fuel level sensors are available as a separate part on the Equinox unlike most other older GM models where it was only sold with the entire fuel pump/module assembly.

There is no access panel so the fuel tank does need to be removed to replace them.

Last edited by ruley73; May 26th, 2011 at 6:17 PM.
Old May 28th, 2019, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the fuel pump on 09 chevy equinox access below the back seat anyone?
Old May 29th, 2019, 3:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by porterhouse2
No. You'll have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump. On a pickup, you can lift the bed, or drop the tank, but a Nox
isn't a pickup.
Old May 29th, 2019, 8:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

impala and grand prix are the only gm product I have seen with pass thru covers for the fuel pump.
Old May 29th, 2019, 4:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by porterhouse2
See my previous post from 8 years ago. Why are you replacing the fuel pump - is the pump (one of them) bad or is the gauge not reading right?

Originally Posted by tech2
impala and grand prix are the only gm product I have seen with pass thru covers for the fuel pump.
Yep, the 1997+ W-bodies had access panels and I haven't seen them on any other GM products. Our 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue had one which made it easy for me to replace the sending unit.
Old May 30th, 2019, 12:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I sure miss the days when the fuel pump was mechanical and mounted on the engine. Don't miss carburetors and all the engines fires due to bad fuel lines or leaking carbs.

Dropping a fuel tank on a vehicle with no hoist is not much fun at all. It would cost extra to add a fuel pump cover, so I dig why the car makers dont install them, however.