Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Noise After Suspension Work

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise After Suspension Work

I just had my front struts replaced on my 2005 Chevy Equinox. Prior to the repair the car had a god awful clunk and rattle in the front end. This seemed to be fixed with the repair. Now two days after the repair there is a slight rattle in the front driver side area when I go over a bump. It doesn't cause any difference in the way the car feels. It just sounds like something is a little loose and causing a rattle. I just paid $1200 and don't want to get soaked for any more money.

Any ideas?
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It's either worn/bad front sway bar links or worn u-joints in the steering intermediate shaft.

The next time you go over some bumps, hold some pressure on the steering wheel by turning it slightly in one direction when going over the bumps. If the noise goes away, the u-joints in the steering intermediate shaft are worn and the entire steering intermediate shaft assembly will need to be replaced (the u-joints are not serviceable). It's not necessary to replace it right away. Just keep in mind the noise will worsen and the slack in the steering feel will become more noticeable as more wear occurs.

If the noise still occurs when holding the steering wheel while going over bumps, most likely sway bar end links are worn and need to be replaced..
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

maybe the nut that retains the strut to the upper mount is loose