Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Need help with 2007 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2014, 10:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by moonover
My 07 equinox was leaking at the gas tank and it was the fuel pump inside of the gas tank. It was not a recall but covered under a warrenty at the chevy garage and paid in full. I am now having stability control and traction control problems along with idle problems. I am suspicious that they are related.
The Stabilitrak/Traction Control issue is a separate problem. It's just a coincidence that it started after getting your fuel pump replaced.
Old February 6th, 2015, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall

This is late but there was actually a recall on the fuel pump (of 2007 equinox at least). Chevy sent me a letter regarding it, however it only applies if the pump causes your gas to leak. I have had all the problems listed here since I purchased the car 3 years ago. I've had tune ups, replaced EGR valve, everything you can think of, but nothing worked. I had given hope before the recall came in when my mechanic told me it had to be the fuel pump within the tank and it was just to expensive to fix until the car quit completely and I had to. So excited when I got the recall though, and I took my car to the dealership only for them to do absolutely nothing because I couldn't confirm that my fuel was leaking. I tried to tell them i had been told my fuel pump was the problem, but they didn't care and said if they even looked at my car it would cost over onehundred dollars. Before getting the Chevy I had always considered myself a Ford man. Needless to say, I still am after this Equinox. I will not be buying another Chevy, that's for sure.

Last edited by Jjmack; February 6th, 2015 at 2:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old February 6th, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jjmack
This is late but there was actually a recall on the fuel pump (of 2007 equinox at least). Chevy sent me a letter regarding it, however it only applies if the pump causes your gas to leak. I have had all the problems listed here since I purchased the car 3 years ago. I've had tune ups, replaced EGR valve, everything you can think of, but nothing worked. I had given hope before the recall came in when my mechanic told me it had to be the fuel pump within the tank and it was just to expensive to fix until the car quit completely and I had to. So excited when I got the recall though, and I took my car to the dealership only for them to do absolutely nothing because I couldn't confirm that my fuel was leaking. I tried to tell them i had been told my fuel pump was the problem, but they didn't care and said if they even looked at my car it would cost over onehundred dollars. Before getting the Chevy I had always considered myself a Ford man. Needless to say, I still am after this Equinox. I will not be buying another Chevy, that's for sure.
There was no recall for the fuel pump, just a special coverage campaign. If it were a recall, they would have been required to replace the fuel pump, no questions asked, regardless of it's condition. I received said letter as well. It instructs you to hold onto the letter as long as you own the vehicle and if the part ever fails in the manner described, they will replace it for nothing. The dealership that replaced our fuel pump told us beforehand that if the issue did not match what was described in the letter that they would charge us an hour's labor just for putting it on the lift to look at it.

As I previously said, the fuel pump would have nothing to do with the Stabilitrak/Traction Control being disabled. I don't know who your mechanic is, but they were incorrect.
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Regardless

Originally Posted by ruley73
There was no recall for the fuel pump, just a special coverage campaign. If it were a recall, they would have been required to replace the fuel pump, no questions asked, regardless of it's condition. I received said letter as well. It instructs you to hold onto the letter as long as you own the vehicle and if the part ever fails in the manner described, they will replace it for nothing. The dealership that replaced our fuel pump told us beforehand that if the issue did not match what was described in the letter that they would charge us an hour's labor just for putting it on the lift to look at it.

As I previously said, the fuel pump would have nothing to do with the Stabilitrak/Traction Control being disabled. I don't know who your mechanic is, but they were incorrect.
Said reply from mechanic was for the vehicles stalling / skipping and misfireing. I'm no mechanic, but it doesn't take one to know when the car's a POS.
Old February 7th, 2015, 4:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jjmack
Said reply from mechanic was for the vehicles stalling / skipping and misfireing. I'm no mechanic, but it doesn't take one to know when the car's a POS.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with your Equinox. I wasn't trying to be a smarty pants. However, it really does sound like you need to find a better mechanic that is able to properly diagnose the problem and make necessary repairs accordingly. A bad fuel pump could certainly cause misfiring & stalling, but would not directly affect the Stabilitrak/Traction Control. The engine & transmission in the 2005-2009 Equinox w/3.4L is pretty reliable compared to most other vehicles. Any driveability issues that are encountered are usually easy fixes.

We'd be happy to help you get your Equinox running good again. Post the mileage, a more specific description of your issue (when does it stall/misfire?), any troublecodes that have been retrieved (many auto parts stores do this for free), and a list of parts that have been replaced.
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Lixxie1982
I was getting these codes, replaced my EGR valve myself, disconnected the battery to reset the computer and haven't had my car code out since.
I have a 2007 Pontiac torrent with 135,000 miles that started showing service stabilitrak service traction control. Then it started slipping between 2nd and 3rd. Took it to a friend's shop for inspection and he recommended taking it to the dealer to have the transmission checked out before putting any money into anything else. Dealer said it needed an egr valve at the tune of $600. And transmission replaced at cost $4,500. After reading the these threads I have replaced the egr and pull fuse 33. Codes gone and I will drive it tomorrow to see if they reapear. I was wondering if anyone else had the transmission slipping and did this fix it?
Old April 28th, 2015, 4:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jlcox
I have a 2007 Pontiac torrent with 135,000 miles that started showing service stabilitrak service traction control. Then it started slipping between 2nd and 3rd. Took it to a friend's shop for inspection and he recommended taking it to the dealer to have the transmission checked out before putting any money into anything else. Dealer said it needed an egr valve at the tune of $600. And transmission replaced at cost $4,500. After reading the these threads I have replaced the egr and pull fuse 33. Codes gone and I will drive it tomorrow to see if they reapear. I was wondering if anyone else had the transmission slipping and did this fix it?
My transmission seemed to be slipping between 2nd and 3rd when my EGR was bad, since I replaced it, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my transmission. That being said, I have an Equinox, not a Torrent and I'm not familiar with the Torrent's engine/transmission system.
Old April 28th, 2015, 7:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlcox
Thanks for the post. After you get some miles on it please post your results. I've read several posts about the EGR fixing this for $75 vs. Chevy's $5100 solution.
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Where is the leak? The gas tank repair epoxy is cheap and works really well.
Had this problem called gm. Was in the recall list. Got fixed for free..
Old May 7th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default The p0404 and p0449 issue

I have the p0404 and p0449 happening. I have put 2 new different Delphi EGR Valves on and I am still getting the p0404 code. I have put a new AcDelco purge valve on and I still get the p0449 code. I even replaced the Solenoid on the canister underneath my vehicle. My vehicle has recently started slipping or flaring up going into 3rd gear. The information everyone has provided here (great by the way) is pointing to a simple EGR valve replacement. Now my dilemma is I have already put 2 new ones on. Do I need to put a certain brand on like an AcDelco EGR valve? I also don't get how this have anything to do with the transmission shifting to 3rd. If you guys are still around I will appreciate any help. I am to the point where I don't want to throw anymore money at parts unless I'm sure it's going to work. My dealership wanted me to pay them nearly 400 dollars to put and OEM AcDelco EGR valve on and they couldn't guarantee it would solve the issue. I asked them about the wiring harness and they said it wasn't that. Thanks in advanced. Looking forward to replies. - Josh