Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Old November 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaybaby
I was in my car and the vehicle was in Acc mode for about 10 minutes listening to the radio all of a sudden it started beeping and then shut off and then it would not start I could not remove key out of the ignition so finally I jumped the battery and got it to start and stability track light and engine light is on and now I have no power steering any suggestions
It sounds like you blew the big 80A power steering fuse when you jump started it. You will need to get the correct replacement fuse from a dealership because parts stores don't sell the correct fuse. Which fuse you need depends what year your Equinox is. If you have a 2007-2009 Equinox the fuse is p/n 22689708. If you have a 2010+ Equinox it is p/n 15342606.
Old December 4th, 2016, 10:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default contact cleaner

BeFore the dielectric grease, spray the BCM ( just beneath the radio) plugs with a contact cleaner and work the plugs in and out , to ensure a good contact then apply the dielectric grease. Whenever you get a multitude of error codes it usually means the BCM.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by AllnenC412
I have a 2007 Equinox with 76k miles. The service stabilitrak, service traction control and check engine lights recently came on along with "engine power reduced". The RPM's were also jumping from 700-1500 while idling. These symptoms would happen sporadically and didn't really seem to have any type of pattern as to when it happened or why. I do know that the engine power cutting out while I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph was not the safest position to be in as the car fell from 70 to 40 and there was nothing I could do about it.

I had the codes read at AutoZone and it came back to the EGR valve, $90 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to change it myself. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.

I did some research online and I convinced myself it was the "throttle position sensor" which in an Equinox is part of the "accelerator pedal position sensor" - $70 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to fix it myself. Again, this did not fix the problem.

On the advice of a buddy I added dry gas and Sea Foam to a full tank of gas. While the car was still sluggish it felt like it was getting progressively better and the warning lights were off. I was able to burn off the tank without the issues resurfacing. However, I refilled my tank - added another Sea Foam, and the following morning I am back where I started. All of the lights are on and the engine power is reduced.

I am at a loss. I am completely defeated with this problem and totally abandoned by Chevrolet. In reading and researching this is obviously a common problem with Chevy, but no one seems to have found or posted a concrete solution.

If I find something that works, I will let you and everyone else know. If you get any type of answers, I would whole-heartedly appreciate your feedback.

I, like you, am ready to take my money elsewhere.
Originally Posted by benf2010
I've had this problem with my Chevy Cruz '11. Reduce engine power, stability a light comes on, etc...

Seems that the main computer (ECM harness - yes the big ones) has connectors that have a difficult time maintaining connection to the pins and signals that other components send to it.

***The Chevy dealership put some dielectric grease on the harness connectors and it seems to have fixed my issues.***

I was getting issues across the board. Mainly TCM (transmission control module) and Stabilitrak a but that wasn't the only issues. It seemed like these phantom problems were all over the vehicle. It makes sense that the ECM or the connections to the main computer would be the issue. Chevy's wiring harnesses need to be redesigned and protect the connector a bit better from moisture and elements.

I hope that helps some/all of you. It's been a few months since my issues had stated occurring but it's been fine thus far.
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 Equinox with 109000 miles on it. Have the same issue with service stabilitrak light coming on, only I don't loose engine power. I have changed the egr valve, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the battery, replaced all 4 wheel sensors/bearings. My service stabilitrak light only comes on after driving several hours at 65-70 mph using cruise control. It is more of an irritation for me than anything else. I have checked the codes to find P0404 which is a EGR range code, and now am getting a code for losing contact with the power steering control module. I intend to take the vehicle to a dealer to have the ECm/PCM reprogrammed, may also have haave the power steering module replaced. In the meanwhile, I have found a handy device that allows me to read codes and clear them using my smart phone. It is called Blue Driver and is made by Lemur monitors. The app can be down loaded for free put you need to buy the sensor which costs about $100.00. The sensor plugs into the computer port under the dash and my phone connects to it via Bluetooth. The app allows me to read codes, clear codes and also saves reports giving common fixes for the codes reported. It gives pending codes and active codes. It also allows me to look at live data while the engine is running. (Too much to look at while your driving.) When the service stabilitrak light comes on I just clear the codes and keep on driving. I hope the reprogramming will fix the underlying issue but if it does not, I will continue to just clear the codes when the light comes on. I like my Equinox but am frustrated with this issue. Would like to see GM issue a recall.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

I read somewhere else in this site to put dialectric grease on the wiring harness connections at the ECM and it worked for me the service stabilitrak error disapeared. thanks to whoever posted it
Old January 2nd, 2017, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default P2135 Throttle Body

Dealer had my 2011 Equinox LS for 6 days after an initial P2135. The car would run for several miles or a few blocks, then Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Power - turn off the key wait a few seconds and back on the go. At one point the engine light turned off on its own. Dealer could not duplicate the problem and didn't think it was the throttle body. They encountered other codes, but not related. They disconnected the battery, applied dielectric grease, drove it around on several occasions with no issues. With this in mind I picked up the vehicle, drove it for 4-1/2 days and guess what - on the freeway. Pulled over - turned off - restarted and drove 100 miles to our weekend away. Then ... again. Only this time every few blocks. Had to cut vacation short and head home. Took it to a recommended center and mechanic pulled a P2135, and cleared the codes. We drove for a few miles and 5 times in about 6 miles. Then drove 40 miles with no issues. Driving through a town .... Almost drove the rest of the way home 70 miles before another few incidents all at 30 MPH or less. Additional .... it runs a little rough at start up and when at in gear at a stop. Feels like a misfire.

The mechanic gave us information regarding a 120,000 mile extended warranty for the throttle body. Please tell me that mine is one of the ones covered. I have already spent over $180 with the dealer and $55 with the mechanic for a problem that still exists.

Heading back to the dealer tomorrow Jan 3rd.

Thanks for your kind assistance.
Don
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2008 Equinox has a water leak in the rear left passenger side.

My 2008 Equinox with < 62,000 miles has a water leak in the rear passenger side. The water starts at the inside of the door frame at the rug and continues all the way across the floor..I am currently working with Parks Chevrolet in Kernersville, NC since December trying to get it fixed. The weatherstrip on both doors has been replaced. The right inner door seal and sealing strip has been replaced, They even took the carpet out and allowed it to dry. They have done the water/rain test and each time it comes back with a different problem. I am at my wit's end because now they are saying I have to for the next problem because since the first visit they have "eaten" the cost of >$500.00 to have it fixed. I paid for the replacing of the weatherstip on both doors on the first visit. This is the 3rd time I have taken it in for the same problem since December and it still gets wet, it is parked in my driveway. Does anyone have any suggestions????????
Old January 24th, 2017, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

I would suggest you have someone spray water on the rear passenger side while you are sitting inside and see if you can find where the water is coming in. When they pulled the carpeting out to dry did they check for holes in the floorboard? Have you checked to see if it is a leak from a bad window seal in the door? Is there a problem with the door's alignment? Removing some of the interior trim might make it easier to find the leak as well.
Old January 24th, 2017, 7:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by VA2NC
My 2008 Equinox with < 62,000 miles has a water leak in the rear passenger side. The water starts at the inside of the door frame at the rug and continues all the way across the floor..I am currently working with Parks Chevrolet in Kernersville, NC since December trying to get it fixed. The weatherstrip on both doors has been replaced. The right inner door seal and sealing strip has been replaced, They even took the carpet out and allowed it to dry. They have done the water/rain test and each time it comes back with a different problem. I am at my wit's end because now they are saying I have to for the next problem because since the first visit they have "eaten" the cost of >$500.00 to have it fixed. I paid for the replacing of the weatherstip on both doors on the first visit. This is the 3rd time I have taken it in for the same problem since December and it still gets wet, it is parked in my driveway. Does anyone have any suggestions????????
You should start a new thread for this issue as it has nothing to do with the issue discussed in this thread.

Does your Equinox have a sunroof? If so, make sure the drain tubes are clear and still connected to the sunroof module. I'm guessing you don't have a sunroof since the dealership hasn't done anything about it. If you do have a sunroof I'd take the vehicle somewhere else. The sunroof is the first thing they should've looked at.

Another possibility could be loose roof rails.

Last edited by ruley73; January 24th, 2017 at 9:27 PM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

My Equinox does have a sunroof and they claim that they have checked it and there is no leak..or damage to the drain tubes. I have been in the car when it was raining and have shown them the sid eit come in on during each trip. The manager Terri Snider says she has her best guy working on it each time but ea time he come up with something new that is supposedly the "problem".. He took the carpet out and it was dry except for the middle part and supposedly checked the flooring. Has even said the water is coming in on the right side and crossing over to the left. Weatherstrip to both doors have been replaced and the inner door seal and sealing strip has been replaced on the right side and the left door was supposedly adjusted. I am out of money and time since this has been an ongoing problem since December and it still is not fixed....Terri at Parks said that they paid for the second repair and would not pay for anything else because they are out of <$500....She is willing to pay for one of their vendors to come and do a wet test to determine what the problem is and give me an estimate for them to fix it but I would have to pay.....I asked why they are not standing by their products and she says it is a 2008 and I asked about the back log of water leaks they had when I first took the car in for repairs and all she says is that it is a 2008....HELP.....I am regretting having a Chevrolet when they cant stand by their products or find the problem.

Update- Dealership had a third party come out who specializes in water leaks, He found the problem in 10 min.. Turns out the hose from the sunroof was clogged and this is where the problem was coming from. Sadly, the best guy at the dealership claimed he checked it and it was ok. Plus another vendor happened to be there oneday and said that was the problem and they said it had been checked. We will see when it rains. Good surprise, the dealership picked up the bill for the hose repair.

Last edited by VA2NC; January 27th, 2017 at 7:27 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it is the body control module

this morning it was only -15 I started my 2010 chevy colorado picked up my daughter and about a block from the house on they all came, just like on the 2006 Torrent. It was in limp home mode and barely running. I shut it down and restarted but it was still yuch, I got home and parked it, then I realized I had left the ELM 27 bluetooth OBD reader plugged in. the truck had run about 10 minutes and was just starting to heat up and I had changed the setting from defrost to cabin.
Now this is just a guess but I think it is right. The OBD was very cold and once the warm air hit it , condensation formed on a few of the internal components and this caused the BCM to throw everything into limp home mode. Once I pulled out the OBD reader everything was normal and I took the truck for a 1/2 drive . If your BCM gets any far out of range input, it sends the vehicle into LimpHome. That was the thing with the BCM plugs on the 2006 Torrent too. Once I pulled the plugs , cleaned them with contact cleaner and sealed them with dielectric grease the problem disappeared.. Always look at the cheap simple stuff first, running to a dealer, buying new throttle parts or EGR parts to fix a simple poor connection problem is not going to solve the problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light