Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light and Loss of Transmission Gears

I have a 2008 Equinox with about 180,000 miles. Yesterday, for the first time ever, the Stabilitrak warning and check engine lights came on while driving at highway speed. When I slowed down a couple miles later, the vehicle acted like it lost 1st and 2nd gears. It accelerated very slowly until about 30 miles an hour or so, then it ran fine above that speed. Strategically drove it on flat roads so I wouldn't get stuck climbing up a hill from a stop. Shut the car off for about 5 minutes, started it and it ran fine with just the check engine light on.

This morning I drove it again, the check engine light was still off, and it ran fine. My wife drove it this afternoon and the same thing happened to her. Stabilitrak light, Check Engine Light, and very slow to accelerate from a stop/slow speeds.
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Chevy Equinox LT 110k miles

So the service stablitrack and all wheel drive lights came on-- we got 4 brand new tires... two months later the service stabilitrak light has came BACK on... Any ideas or thoughts?
Old April 15th, 2017, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please help me troubleshoot...

Hello, all!

So I own a 2013 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD. On my way to the store one day, my ABS began to pulsate aggressively, followed by the illumination of my traction control and ABS lights. Along with this, my information center displayed "Service Stabilitrak" and "AWD Off" warnings. After the warnings lit up, the computer bypassed the ABS and AWD, doing away with the pulsation, only to return briefly upon startup while reassessing the code, then returning to the same warnings. I pulled the code to discover a C0035 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Supply (Subfault). Armed with this new info, I purchased the speed sensor, replaced said sensor, inspected and cleaned the contact on the pigtail harness, but still...same issue. I pulled the code once again to be sure that it was not throwing a new code. Knowing the sensor wasn't the issue, barring a defective part, I returned it and purchased an OEM hub/bearing assembly. I installed this yesterday, also to no avail. Pulled the code again to be sure, and again, the same code. My thinking has brought me to a couple of conclusions as to where the problem can be, and my next logical step would be the pigtail harness that goes from the sensor plug to the EBCM. Does this seem to make sense to you all? Would that be a safe assumption, or would I be better suited spending $109/hr for diagnostic at my local mechanic shop? My only other question is where can I locate the pigtail harness I would need if following my initial plan? Everywhere I look, I'm only able to locate the speed sensor, but not the pigtail. My other hurdle has been an inundation of '05-'09 Equinox threads and parts, but next to nothing for my body style. I anxiously await reply, as my employment greatly requires my AWD capabilities!
Old April 22nd, 2017, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

I've done almost everything you guys have done. Now I am going to replace the Throttle Position Sensor. Seems to have worked for many.
Old September 12th, 2017, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem and my car is a 2016. Did anyone ever find a solution?
Old June 24th, 2018, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default my 07 pontiac torrent is doing the same thing, exactly, service stabilitrak light com

my 07 torrent is doing the same exact thing, stabilitrack light comes on, lose, power, pull over turn off, restart go for 15 minutes, start again. So I guess I will take it to get the stabilitrak fixed, I don't know what else to do. any suggestions ? oh and i also noticedonce i am in reverse and put it in drive it clunks into drive, like jerks, not smooth at all anymore.
Old October 5th, 2018, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default ughhhh

Man my car is doing the same thing and it’s irritating my soul. I just recently had my abs system fixed when my Stabiltrak light snd abs system came on. Now it’s a whole other issue. I had to get my car towed last night, now it’s working. Last week a got a rental and it started working again so they couldn’t figure it out. It seems if everyone is having this issue there would be a recall.

ohh and my fuel burns quick as well. I’m over Chevy.

QUOTE=mediccj;293409]Hey guys, I'm glad I found this thread.

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD 4 cylinder. Current mileage runs around 93k miles. Bought it used from the dealership just over one year ago (December 2013).

A little while back, my check engine light came on. Ran it and showed P00013. Exhaust Camshaft Position sensor. Cool, I'll get it replaced when it warms up, not that big of a deal.

The other day however, I was driving and I recieved the infamous "Service Stabilitrak" and "Reduced Engine Power" message while I was driving and my speeds drastically reduced. After nearly getting rear ended, and not being dramatic, I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I restarted the car and I was good for another mile or so. Filled the gas tank and put some cleaner in the fuel as well. Went to the dealership (Al Serra in Grand Blanc Michigan) and they told me I'd have to bring it in next week. They also said it could be the speed sensor. So I barely made it home, I did stall out in one intersection, where I waited a couple minutes and it restarted. I took it out yesterday again because it was warmer, and it did the same thing.

We ran the codes again, and it said Throttle Body Sensor/System. Upon doing my research, this seems to be the problem, and the whole system needs to be replaced. I was told that this is NOT covered under warranty even though its directly part of the powertrain. I'm taking the vehicle in Monday morning. I really cannot afford this repair since I am off work due to injury, so I'm worried its going to run in the 400-500 range from my research.

Does anyone know where the Throttle Body System/Sensor is located? I know on some vehicles, its right on top and is held on with 4 bolts and can be easily removed and cleaned as well.

Also, where is the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor located?

Finally, another problem is I am burning through oil like no other. We did a oil life consumption test, and when I took it back to the dealership (Suski in Birch Run) they just gave the run around and said that is perfectly normal to burn oil. I am reading about timing chain issues and a few others. It's getting ridiculous. I came from Ford to a GM product and I am regretting my decision.

I just wanted to post what the most likely problem is and ask a few questions. If any of the GM folks want me to PM them, let me know. However unless you can get me a service bulletin, recall number, or warranty information, there is not much you can do about this. This is a significant danger to folks driving, I can confirm this most definitely.

Thank you all![/QUOTE]
Old November 13th, 2018, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Equinox and am experiencing the same problem as everyone else with the Stabilitrak error message and the reduced engine power. Love the car but it is very frustrating to have this occur when just driving down the street. It is a safety issue and I can afford to have a car that I can't depend on. Has anyone came up with a solution that works other than turning in the car and starting over?
Old January 14th, 2019, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

My 2011 Camaro SS came up with this on the display. Turned out that combustion gas was blowing past the electrode on the #6 spark plug, and dislodging the plug-wire boot enough to break contact with the plug. Not apparent on quick visual inspection. Veteran mechanic with diagnostic scope located it. Reason why others are probably experiencing this when performing particular driving maneuvers is that the inertial forces are probably causing the already partially dislodged plug-boot to shift, and break contact with the plug. When the PCM detectes an engine misfire, it starts shutting down other systems it controls. Including good ol' Stabilitrak. Re-seat your spark-plug wires when this happens. Better yet, replace the plugs and the wires.
Old January 15th, 2019, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gemleroy
I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
I didn't read all the way through this thread. Just wondering if you had this issue resolved yet? I had the same problems. I ordered the throttle body, changed the part my self it takes about 30 minutes it is not hard to do at all. While I was at it, I took out the Mass air flow sensor and cleaned that and replaced the air filter with a K&N part. Having said all that. I haven't had the issue re-appear yet and it's been two weeks now.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light