Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Old December 28th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's helpful info. Seems there should be a recall on this though. Guess it's not very important, forget the fact that loss of power can cause serious injuries if on interstate.
Old December 29th, 2014, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default totally agreed

Originally Posted by momeeof2
That's helpful info. Seems there should be a recall on this though. Guess it's not very important, forget the fact that loss of power can cause serious injuries if on interstate.
Honestly thought that this wouldn't solve anything but it is funny that the problems ranged in different areas. My transmission even shifted hard both up and down at times.
I am a Chevy Truck guy for life but not living their cars all that much. Chevy should have recalled this but I guess the case by case basis saves them a truck load of $$$. (Forgive the pun) I sincerely hope this helps all those with these issues. I know there's a lot problems with these kind of signs. Maybe instead of replacing a $900 ECM, a $7 tube of dielectric grease will help keep costs down.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default That did the trick

Thanks benf2010...that seemed to do the trick. I've had my 2011 cruze "power down" the engine twice this month, and today it was happening every quarter mile once I left my office. I got the "ding ding" check stabilitrak and check engine light every time and would have to pull over, turn off the car and restart it after a minute. So tonight I went straight to auto zone, got a $1 packet of dielectric grease and smeared some on the connector pins and the plastic female part where the pins insert into. Wallah! No more ding dings
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Excellent!

I really hope that did the trick. There are so many people out there having this same issue with other GM cars and not just the Cruze... I really hope this helps anyone/everyone out.

I like my Cruze... my only complaint is it could use a bit more acceleration power but I can't complain for trying to get the 40 or so mpgs GM boasts. After it decides it wants to move, it's not a bad little car. Lol.

If you think of it, please stop back to the forum in a bit and let me/us know if your issue comes back. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern and can fully understand your frustrations. Please let me know if you would like for us to look further into this concern for you. If any extra assistance is needed please feel free to send a PM referencing your concern. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Kristen, it seems like moisture or lack of good connectivity between the two main ECM harnesses on different vehicles are causing a lot of GM's problems with fantom issues. Instead of replacing hundreds of dollars worth of sensors, are dealers and authorized repair facilities aware that a $6 tube of dielectric grease on these harnesses might help resolve the issue?

I honestly know that it's not the answer to every issue but it might be a good basic start. The new high speed networks these vehicles employ are excellent but are also much more critical when it comes to communication than ever before. We're getting close to driving by wire each model year. Just a thought to make sure these networks can easily talk to other parts of the car without issue.
Old January 6th, 2015, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Trifecta tune

Originally Posted by benf2010
I really hope that did the trick. There are so many people out there having this same issue with other GM cars and not just the Cruze... I really hope this helps anyone/everyone out.

I like my Cruze... my only complaint is it could use a bit more acceleration power but I can't complain for trying to get the 40 or so mpgs GM boasts. After it decides it wants to move, it's not a bad little car. Lol.

If you think of it, please stop back to the forum in a bit and let me/us know if your issue comes back. Thanks again for the feedback!
Ben, give the trifecta tune a shot... I just got an update to the tune 2 months ago... Holy moly you couldn't touch me if you tried. I had this 2007 Chrysler crossfire try to take me on the highway... The crossfire is about 215 hp... My cruze took off and pulled this geezer like it was packin 250.

The whole shabam is about $450 with the cable.... But wellllllllll worth it
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Nut4health
Ben, give the trifecta tune a shot... I just got an update to the tune 2 months ago... Holy moly you couldn't touch me if you tried. I had this 2007 Chrysler crossfire try to take me on the highway... The crossfire is about 215 hp... My cruze took off and pulled this geezer like it was packin 250.

The whole shabam is about $450 with the cable.... But wellllllllll worth it

Sounds good to me! I had a Diablo Sport performance tune on an 03 Avalanche. I loved the throttle response but occasionally the shift points didn't always shift at the right RPM and/or speed on queue. It took rebuilding the transmission twice to find out Diablo sent me the wrong programmer. It works with the engine but wasn't the right model for my trans. Expensive mistake. After that experience I want to make sure I'm doing things right with the Cruze. I'm definitely going to look in to it though. Got the custom deep exhaust without the resonator and a cold air intake. The programmer is my next step. Thanks Nut4health!
Old January 8th, 2015, 1:38 AM
CF Beginner

hi, i had this issue and from the youtube video i watched, the hissing sound under the hood was beacause the pcv cover was bad. i bought one today at a dealer for $75 and had a mechanic replace it. this fixed the issue of my car not idling properly, also the hissing sound stopped. but i still have the check engine light and stabilitrak light. i would like to know where you applied the dielectric grease. was it to the inner part of the negative terminal? thanks in advance for your help.
Old January 8th, 2015, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Maybe I'm not applying it correctly

Turns out that the dielectric grease was a short term fix. My cruze is back to the "service stabilitrak" and engine power is reduced.... I'm forced to call a tow truck and take it to the dealership. I reapplied the grease two more times and it did nothing... It just hit about - 1° here in Chicago the other day, so I have a feeling the cold dry air may have something to do with it... But hopefully the dealership can determine that
Old January 8th, 2015, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 27 times TODAY

I have had this problem for a few weeks on my 2011 Equinox and finally had a chance to take it to the dealership. It shut down 27 times in the 30 miles between home and the dealership. Reading these posts doesn't give me much hope, however if it is figured out by the guys here I will update ya'll.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light