Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2016, 8:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beast5593
I am having an issue similar to and want to know if anyone has had any luck fixing their issue yet. Mine just started Saturday 1/23/16. The lights i am getting are service stalibi Trak and my (ABS) light and the traction light all come on. I just went over 30k miles on my '12 equinox. I had tires put on my car 1/16/16 one week prior to the error appearing. Not sure if that has something to do with it or not. But i would think it would have came on the same day or sooner. I am thinking of taking it to autozone to see if they get any codes that might help me fix the issue. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
I've been observing this for years and can create/solve these exact indications on demand.
1) I can create the fault every time right after starting the engine by going into immediately into reverse (or drive) prior to the diagnostic light show completing.
2) to clear, just pause (leave it in Park) for 15 seconds or so after the engine starts to allow diagnostics to complete and the fault should clear after about 3 to 5 proper starts in a row. You need to drive the car in reverse and forward each time - it won't clear just sitting and start/stopping engine - needs to sense proper RPMs from the ABS sensors prior to clearing the fault.

So it could be cause a habit of going into gear prior to diagnostics clearing or other causes = damaged or dirty ABS sensors located in each wheel assembly or tires that are of different pressure/diameter/size (causing a difference in tire RPM).
Example, one time I got these indications driving 70MPH one hot day while on a long trip. I found the cause to be one tire was 31PSI while the other 3 were at 37PSI.

Mine is a 2007 Nox, but it would be worth a try - it's free (and check your tire pressure when they are cold with a tire gauge.

Last edited by tomwalt; January 27th, 2016 at 8:33 AM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi there,

If you are still stuck on finding a resolution and would like to bring this to the dealership's attention, we would be happy to help. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

How much does this help cost me GM? I thought i was buying a quality American made vehicle. I wanted to support American Workers just didn't think i would have to do it so much. My father is looking for a new car wonder if i should tell him about my issues or not.
Old January 27th, 2016, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tomwalt
I've been observing this for years and can create/solve these exact indications on demand.
1) I can create the fault every time right after starting the engine by going into immediately into reverse (or drive) prior to the diagnostic light show completing.
2) to clear, just pause (leave it in Park) for 15 seconds or so after the engine starts to allow diagnostics to complete and the fault should clear after about 3 to 5 proper starts in a row. You need to drive the car in reverse and forward each time - it won't clear just sitting and start/stopping engine - needs to sense proper RPMs from the ABS sensors prior to clearing the fault.

So it could be cause a habit of going into gear prior to diagnostics clearing or other causes = damaged or dirty ABS sensors located in each wheel assembly or tires that are of different pressure/diameter/size (causing a difference in tire RPM).
Example, one time I got these indications driving 70MPH one hot day while on a long trip. I found the cause to be one tire was 31PSI while the other 3 were at 37PSI.

Mine is a 2007 Nox, but it would be worth a try - it's free (and check your tire pressure when they are cold with a tire gauge.

I will try this tonight thanks Tom!
Old February 4th, 2016, 9:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How much does this help cost me GM? I thought i was buying a quality American made vehicle. I wanted to support American Workers just didn't think i would have to do it so much. My father is looking for a new car wonder if i should tell him about my issues or not.
Hey beast5593,

I understand how frustrating unexpected vehicle repair costs can be. Unfortunately, without a diagnosis, we wouldn’t be able to know how much it would cost to repair your vehicle. If you would like assistance with scheduling an appointment, please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, and current mileage. I could also look into how much the diagnosis fee will be for you. Please let us know how you would like to proceed. We are always happy to assist.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 26th, 2016, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Equinox stability traction control

I have two chevy equinoxes. I should say one...since one was totaled. About two months ago my husband was driving one of our equinoxes when suddenly the stability traction control went. He suddenly lost control and the vehicle was completely disabled on the highway. He had previously went to the mechanic and the code did not come up saying it was the stability traction control. Last week I was driving our other equinox when the same thing happened and our other equinox was totaled. I don't understand how this is just a service bulletin and not a recall.
Old March 28th, 2016, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by pocono62
I have two chevy equinoxes. I should say one...since one was totaled. About two months ago my husband was driving one of our equinoxes when suddenly the stability traction control went. He suddenly lost control and the vehicle was completely disabled on the highway. He had previously went to the mechanic and the code did not come up saying it was the stability traction control. Last week I was driving our other equinox when the same thing happened and our other equinox was totaled. I don't understand how this is just a service bulletin and not a recall.
There needs to be a recall on this Lemon
Old March 28th, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service Stabilitrak still on

Okay so i finally gave up and went to a repair shop for a Diagnostics and the guy said it was my sensor on my driver side rear. Recommended i replace the whole hub assembly/wheel bearing. Said it would cost 400 to replace at the shop. While after i left the service stablitrak error didnt come on for a whole week. I thought it was fixed they just tighten it. But after about a week the light came back on again. So I called my buddy and hes really good with cars so we got it replaced way cheaper. While im still getting the stablitrak error code. It is frustating so i called the shop and will be taking it in again today to see if its still the same sensor.

Last edited by beast5593; March 28th, 2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrak Equinoxs

There needs to be a recall on this Lemon
That would be ideal. But I don't know to get the process going. I refused to buy another Chevy after I almost got killed in mine. I bought a scion.
Old May 11th, 2016, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stablitrak and Check Engine light

Just bought my wife a 2012 Chevy Equinox used about a month ago. Started having a stablitrak symbol come up. Brought it to the dealer and the light wouldn't come back on, they kept it for 2 days and cost me $90 and they could not find any issues with it. Got it back and now the light is coming on again everyday and starting yesterday the check engine light is now coming on too.

I have seen many suggestions to fix this problem. Can someone please help me out on this, i do not want to keep wasting money for the dealer to just look at it. Chevy needs to do a recall on this, i have read too many forms about Chevy's having this issue.
Old July 7th, 2016, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by drg799802
My 07 Chevy equinox has had the service traction control service stabilitrak lights on for the last ~2000mi. The check engine light was on as well, but I got the codes read and put a new EGR valve and sensor (saw on here that was probably it then got the codes read). This all done yesterday. Last night I drove the car approximately 20mi and the service traction control and service stabilitrak lights came back on. The check engine light stayed off. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you!
Try disconnecting your battery's negative battery terminal for 10-15 seconds. This should delete any stored codes from the Stabilitrak System.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...