Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Old July 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to know anything mechanical about a vehicle. For what it is worth, every time the Stabilitrak notice shows upon my 2009 Equinox, one of my tires' sensors is acting up.
Old July 11th, 2016, 6:49 AM
CF Active Member

A few questions. How many miles on your vehicle? Is it always the same wheel sensor? Have you ever had your brakes serviced? What kind of weather do you typically drive in? It may be simply dirt around the sensor. You can try going to a car wash that features an underbody flush. This can clean out the dirt in area of wheel sensors. If it causes the wheel sensor to stop sending it's signal, it is more likely a faulty sensor.
Old July 12th, 2016, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
A few questions. How many miles on your vehicle? Is it always the same wheel sensor? Have you ever had your brakes serviced? What kind of weather do you typically drive in? It may be simply dirt around the sensor. You can try going to a car wash that features an underbody flush. This can clean out the dirt in area of wheel sensors. If it causes the wheel sensor to stop sending it's signal, it is more likely a faulty sensor.
09 Equinox with 100,000 miles. Yes, new brakes, new tires. This is a chronic condition and probably is related to dirt around the sensors. I drive mostly interstates (travel a lot for work) so I am quite confident that dirt (slush, snow, mud, etc) is the issue. The message is not a continuous one.....just intermittent. I get regular 'check ups' with my Chevy dealer and car washes regularly. I am okay with it.....no worries!
Old July 12th, 2016, 5:11 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Slovakgal
09 Equinox with 100,000 miles. Yes, new brakes, new tires. This is a chronic condition and probably is related to dirt around the sensors. I drive mostly interstates (travel a lot for work) so I am quite confident that dirt (slush, snow, mud, etc) is the issue. The message is not a continuous one.....just intermittent. I get regular 'check ups' with my Chevy dealer and car washes regularly. I am okay with it.....no worries!
I'm assuming when you say "tire sensors" you are referring to the wheel speed sensors which are fastened to the wheel bearing/hub assemblies and NOT the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors that are integrated into the valve stem on each wheel. The wheel speed sensor reluctor wheels are built into the wheel bearing/hub assemblies on the 2005-2009 Equinox. They are not exposed to the elements unless you remove the sensors. I believe that there is a very small possibility for dirt/debris/rust to get on the reluctor wheel, but a seasoned tech would be more qualified to confirm/negate this. I suspect a wiring issue is to blame rather than an issue with the sensors themselves. I've made it a habit to periodically unplug each sensor and give the connection a squirt of silicone spray to help keep moisture out.
Old July 30th, 2016, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Repeat Stabilitrak Issues

Help! My husband and I have a 2011 Equinox and just under 80k miles. The error has been coming on intermittently for over a month and we have taken it in several times. The first time the dealer told us nothing was wrong, it was probably a computer system glitch. The second time I was driving and it would not accelerate properly and make a loud vrooooom/grinding noise (as if it was in neutral and I was trying to accelerate....but it was in drive). For that visit, the dealer said we needed to replace the 'break booster' =$500. Then less than a week, it came on again. Took it back and the dealer just had us replace the left rear tire module =$400 (said GM gave them a $300 credit since it was a 'domino effect' from the first issue). Now, not even two days later, it's on again. I asked the service manager if this was an equinox issue and he said no. None of this is warranty work and seems to me they don't really know what the hell to do to fix it, yet we're blessing out money for this otherwise decent vehicle. (No major repairs for over a year - prior to that we researched lemon law but since all the issues we were having were past the 3 year mark we weren't eligible) help! Chevy, where is your customer service? How do you expect people to repurchase from you when so many of us are having this issue on the same type of vehicle? This car has been possessed - sometimes it just won't start...when the dealer sees us drive in, they look at us like 'what now?' Help!!!!!
Old August 25th, 2016, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service Stabilitrak and no steering

Hi All,

I have been reading all of your messages but no one else seems to have the problem I am having which is no power steering. I used my friends code reader last night but it couldn't find any codes. I do not have the Service Engine light coming on. However, I forget where I looked on the scanner but it did show EGR Err (%) and it was showing 99.2. I do not know if that is good or bad and I am only mentioning that because I saw a lot of posts about the EGR valve. If anyone might have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Frank.
Old August 27th, 2016, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue replaced the 80AMP fuse, the EGR Valve and the intake tube. The lights are still on saving up money to have the "Wheel Sensors" checked and or cleaned. I have taken it to a few differant mechanics have no idea why the light is still on
Old September 5th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue on my 2011 which is a later model. Had a code for a right front ABS sensor. Ended up replacing the wheel bearing to solve the issue. Just sharing.
Old September 14th, 2016, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JBINKLEY06
I have a 08 Equinox with 79000 miles on it, for the last few weeks or so I've been having the service traction control/ service stabilitrak light come on.. Normally it comes on after i drive for a few minutes other times it'll be several miles after I drive it... Last week my check engine light came on, i took it to auto zone for them to read the code and they told me it wasn't getting enough oxygen and that it was likely bad gas and to buy a fuel system cleaner.. I did that it cleared the check engine light for about a week and i don't think i saw the TC or Stabilitrak message either. Then Saturday both the TC and Stabilitrak message were back on along with the check engine light, i haven't taken it to get the code read again yet... Car seems to be driving fine no issues other than it not having much traction when your pushing the gas....

Any ideas as to what this could be? I've searched and searched and it seems that its a common problem with the equniox and tons and tons of different solutions.... Car is still covered under the powertrain warranty but i have to pay 75 for the the diagnostic test... Just trying to seem if it would be something thats covered or not...
I have a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox that had the Service StabilityTrack and Tranction Control message as well as the idiot light for the StabilityTrack and the engine light would stay on. I took it to my dealership, Universal Chevrolet in Wendell, NC, and this was the cause: EGR Valve port restricted and EGR valve position sensor erratic. The correction was DTC P0401 set in ECM. Commanded EGR Valve open 100% with engine idling. Engine should almost stall with EGR valve open 100%. Engine was not close to stalling and the EGR valve data indicated that valve position was erratic while in the full open and full closed positions. Removed and replaced EGR valve. Removed the Thorttle body to access the EGR port. Cleaned EGR port. Cleaned Thottle body while it was removed and reprogrammed ECM with the latest calibrations. Programming Code 11F80. Performed Idle Learn. Road tested vehicle. The car now runs great the error messages and lights are out.
Old November 12th, 2016, 7:19 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have 2013 Equinox and at 52K miles had stabili track light go on. It was not under warranty but I read all the engine issues and got scared as I have a 2 year old. I brought it in but dealer takes forever and I knew I would pay a lot more. It scanned and there were some issues but they then got a part and it did not solve issue so now have to order some accelerator sensor. The dash had to be taken out to scan and so $500 later...I am mad as this should be a recall!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...