Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Spark plug issue

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2010, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate hearing from you all from my original post, including the most recent from psutimm on 12/30. Seems there is a problem with that engine, but don't count on G.M. to make this a regular maintenance item, as suggested by another reader/poster. As posted by another consumer, different vehicle but same engine, seems to me, there was a problem, perhaps due to heat that has been causing the problem, buts thats just my guess. Did you all know, that engine is no longer available in 2011 models? After reading the posts prior to 12-2, I was convinced there was a problem that I no longer wanted to deal with. On 12-2, I bought a 2011 Equinox with the new 4 cyl engine. Plenty of zip, and better fuel milage as well. I thank you all for the feed back, and if by chance I experience any problems with my new Nox, I'll be sure to post . Happy New Year ALL, and thanks again.

Last edited by bowtiedriver2; December 31st, 2010 at 3:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 21st, 2011, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Spark plug issue.

I just recieved a letter from GM. They are finally admiting there is a heat problem and are going to reimburse me for the cost of my repairs on this (I am over warranty) and then warrant this problem up to 120,000 miles.
Old February 27th, 2011, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I got the same letter in the mail. I KNEW there was something wrong with the engine in this thing, Chevy kept saying there is nothing wrong with it because there was no engine light.
Old February 28th, 2011, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, cstommel & Barricade643 for your recent posts. I would like to know if either of you had to call in a factory rep to get help resolving the problem, or if your dealership took the steps needed to resolve the on-going issues for you. I have yet to get a notice from GM about my issue, and wonder how many others have not, as I have not seen or heard of a blanket recall being sent to all owners of the 3.4 engine. Please, either or both of you, let me know if the letter said "RE-CALL" , or how it was stated. As I posted before, I traded my 2008 that gave me the problem and led me to my original post, not that it matters to me now, but I'd like to know what the letters said, if it was a recall or if they only responded to your individual problems. At this point, I highly doubt they will do anything for me, as mine was under warranty with no out of pocket expense, just the inconvience twice of the same repair. Sure would be nice if I got a letter also, the same as you both did, and hopefully other will receive one as well. I thank you both and everyone who posted comments in regard to my initial post!! Keep me posted, and trust me, I'll keep you all informed about my 2011 Nox with the new 4 cyl engine should I have any issues. As for now, I wish the 4 cyl was available in 2008. I would have bought it back then, as I have no issues or complaints with this engine or the 6 speed tranny. It has all the power I need and runs like the 3.4, and the extra gas milage is a huge plus. Thanks again everyone.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

My wife's 2008 also had the same issue a few months back. I was told that all the plugs and wires needed to be replaced. The dealer was going to charge me over $600 to do this, which I was not going to do. Of course, my wife's was out of warranty on mileage. So I asked why isn't this covered under the powertrain warranty, I knew the answer, due to it being a wear item. But I still complained. I actually emailed Chevrolet and received a response. The company actually stated they would cover the repair of JUST the nr1 plug and wire, which is fine, sort of. The dealer told me that if anything happened until the powertrain expired, they would cover the repairs.

But a new twist on the whole thing occured about three days ago. We received a letter from Chevy stating that there is an issue in the Equinox and the ignition system. It also states that all repairs will be taken care of by the dealer and if you had to do this repair on your own, you can get a refund. So if anyone else has come across this and you have the reciepts and proof, take it to the dealer and talk to them about it.
Old March 7th, 2011, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default spark plug issue

No GM did not call it a "recall" they had just said they have noticed a problem. I had spent many hours on the phone regarding this issue with GM. GM then called my dealer and then I was told GM is going to pay for the parts ($200) the rest --labor , I will have to pay ($387.00). Then 3 months later my dealer calls me and informs me that GM is going to reimburse me for all the labor costs and cover this up to 120,000 miles. They told me I should recieve a letter, which I did. It was a short form to fill out. and attach receipts and proof of payment and send in.

Last edited by cstommel; March 7th, 2011 at 5:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 27th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

I believe I am having the same problems. Replaced spark plug at local shop. Is there a recall? I just had door problems with the equinox and this annoying me to no end
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

make sure they replace the plug and plug wire. Carbon tracking will occur on the plug wire and if not replaced will cause a repeat condition with the new plug.

Normal plug replacement is 100 000miles so if your there; do all the plugs.

for some reason the ceramic insulator of the plug is cracking causing the spark to grd out the side of the plug instead of the plug electrodes. I have replaced the plug and wire together and never had a re-occurrence.
Old December 30th, 2013, 4:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pszack
I believe I am having the same problems. Replaced spark plug at local shop. Is there a recall? I just had door problems with the equinox and this annoying me to no end
Hey pszack,

Sorry to see you're having trouble with your spark plugs. If you message me your VIN, I'd be happy to see if there are any service announcements related to your concern. Let us know if we can be of some assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 2nd, 2014, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Amber the day I posted the information my car was in the dealership and they replaced the #5 spark plug and wire, which is great.... Wish they would replace all of them at one time..
I had one replaced by another mechanic can I get reimbursed for that??

Quick Reply: Spark plug issue