Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2016, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default File complaint

Originally Posted by Pauve Shirelle Tudor
Was anybody able to find out the problem to this? This just happened to me.
I have filed a complaint with the National Vehicle Safety Council 888-427-4236, so many owners are experiencing this problem that presents safety concerns when engine power is abruptly reduced, almost was rear ended on Highway. If everyone experiencing this problem files a complaint maybe a recall will be issued!
The following users liked this post:
drea1972 (May 13th, 2022)
Old September 29th, 2016, 3:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ncordova
Hello Jeff,

I am also experiencing this same problem, it seems Chevy should issue a recall , since this issue is so common and widespread. Can I get some assistance in resolving this issue?

Thank you,

Nadine
Hi Nadine,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing these Stabilitrak and power steering concerns with your vehicle. Have you had it diagnosed by a GM dealership yet? We would be more than willing to assist you in having these concerns addressed. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and the name of your preferred dealership to move forward.

We look forward to your response,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 2nd, 2016, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have tried that number and it doesn't work. However, I have replaced a couple of things concerning my pedal and Stabilitrak system and within months of the repairs my lights came back on. After going through a lot of hustle and bustle with the dealership... I just gave up hope. I still am having problems today with it and of course I want it fixed. The service people are pure ******** and they don't always respect a woman's voice especially if she is aware and alert. I had scanned my vehicle and talked with several guys who helped me to learn how to make and do repairs to my automobile - well before I went in to the dealership for assistance with repairs. Those jerks repaired what the wanted and never addressed the issue that I had originally went in for. Afterwards, I found out that it was the incorrect part repaired I went back just to be given a half-way apology but lots of attitudes because I raised hell to get them to listen and not only that for them to repair what I wanted. By the way, it turned out that I was correct. However another light came on from them tinkering around where they should not have been and the light has been on since then. I hate going to that Chevy shop and with that being said, I just don't go. I try to repair as much as I can without them. I only go to them if I have to and I haven't been in years.
Old December 25th, 2016, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is a pain to try to reset the tire pressure. I have to tell you that the best way to get it done is take it to the dealer. He has a tool that makes it real easy to adjust.
No you can't by it as far as I know. All he does is check the pressur and walk around the vehicle and the tool will beep. At least that is what d on my 2015 equinox.
Hope this helps
Old December 27th, 2016, 9:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
Well I have tried that number and it doesn't work. However, I have replaced a couple of things concerning my pedal and Stabilitrak system and within months of the repairs my lights came back on. After going through a lot of hustle and bustle with the dealership... I just gave up hope. I still am having problems today with it and of course I want it fixed. The service people are pure ******** and they don't always respect a woman's voice especially if she is aware and alert. I had scanned my vehicle and talked with several guys who helped me to learn how to make and do repairs to my automobile - well before I went in to the dealership for assistance with repairs. Those jerks repaired what the wanted and never addressed the issue that I had originally went in for. Afterwards, I found out that it was the incorrect part repaired I went back just to be given a half-way apology but lots of attitudes because I raised hell to get them to listen and not only that for them to repair what I wanted. By the way, it turned out that I was correct. However another light came on from them tinkering around where they should not have been and the light has been on since then. I hate going to that Chevy shop and with that being said, I just don't go. I try to repair as much as I can without them. I only go to them if I have to and I haven't been in years.
Equinox Owner,

We sincerely apologize for the delay in our response. We're truly sorry to hear about the negative experience you had at your dealership, and that your Equinox concerns have not been addressed. This is certainly not something we like to hear as we place our full trust in our dealers to address any and all vehicle concerns, as well as foster excellent relationships with our customers. We would be more than willing to reach out to the dealership to make them aware of your dissatisfaction and have your vehicle diagnosed if you are still experiencing concerns with the Stabilitrak and pedal. If this is of interest, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience including your VIN, full contact information, mileage, and name of your dealership.

Best,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default 09 Chevy Equinox

I have a 09 Chevy Equinox LS (3.4L AWD) my "service stabilitrak" light started coming on this summer accompanied by loss of power steering, no check engine light and AutoZone didn't get any obd codes. It had never done this for more than 1/2 a day maybe. Well now it's back for going on day 3 now. But Last night it acted totally normal on my way home about 3/4 of the way there then dash light up and power steering disappeared. Mega 80 fuse is good, I've checked ABS sensor's and wiring located behind each hub. But I'm at a loss because of the way it'll go away long enough to make to think everything is normal and then BAM. Has anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking at next please.
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oreo918.ja
I have a 09 Chevy Equinox LS (3.4L AWD) my "service stabilitrak" light started coming on this summer accompanied by loss of power steering, no check engine light and AutoZone didn't get any obd codes. It had never done this for more than 1/2 a day maybe. Well now it's back for going on day 3 now. But Last night it acted totally normal on my way home about 3/4 of the way there then dash light up and power steering disappeared. Mega 80 fuse is good, I've checked ABS sensor's and wiring located behind each hub. But I'm at a loss because of the way it'll go away long enough to make to think everything is normal and then BAM. Has anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking at next please.
Take it to a shop with a real scanner. Most cheap scanners only look for powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. Don't let the shop tell you the warning message has to be on to get a code, that's hogwash. I think you have a bad steering wheel position sensor, but you should take it somewhere to be properly diagnosed.
Old January 5th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Take it to a shop with a real scanner. Most cheap scanners only look for powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. Don't let the shop tell you the warning message has to be on to get a code, that's hogwash. I think you have a bad steering wheel position sensor, but you should take it somewhere to be properly diagnosed.
I'm sorry for the late response. Been working all week, anyway I got the codes scanned today and it came back.....
P0404
P0405
P0513
P0706
P1779
U0100
U3000
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oreo918.ja
I'm sorry for the late response. Been working all week, anyway I got the codes scanned today and it came back.....
P0404
P0405
P0513
P0706
P1779
U0100
U3000
That's an interestingly random list of codes. I suspect you may have a wiring issue. I'd try disconnecting and re-seating the big connectors on the PCM above the battery. It wouldn't hurt to give the connectors a shot of silicone spray after pulling them off. I'd also check your ground connections for corrosion and inspect any wiring near the PCM and around the underhood fuse block for damage.
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
That's an interestingly random list of codes. I suspect you may have a wiring issue. I'd try disconnecting and re-seating the big connectors on the PCM above the battery. It wouldn't hurt to give the connectors a shot of silicone spray after pulling them off. I'd also check your ground connections for corrosion and inspect any wiring near the PCM and around the underhood fuse block for damage.
Took into dealer (not a Chevy dealership) Friday (1/6/2017) because PCM is covered under my limited warranty. They said, PCM is good. That EGR valve, (I'll replace myself), & said "power steering control module" is bad and quoted me $240 to replace with a used power steering control module. (Brand new $490) Do I need to replace egr same I day I pick up my car? Because they are saying replacing power steering control module alone is going to restore power steering, and remove service stabilitrak/traction control from dash board which kinda contradicts all I've researched about this issue?

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing