Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Temp gauge hot when engine is not!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge hot when engine is not!

Hi guys! Looking for some direction/help on a problem we're having with my 2005 Equinox with 101,000 miles.

EGR hose blew and was replaced. Since then, we're having temp/coolant issues.

Temp gauge will rise to MAX in 15-20 seconds (mostly while idling or stopped), hover for 20-30 seconds, then fall just as quickly as it rose. This can even happen after a short 1-2 mile drive from a cold start. Engine is not even warm yet. At times, red temp light will come on and engine wants to shut down. If it does, 5 minutes later, it will restart and temp falls back to normal.

Replaced:
Thermostat
Temp Sensor

Gurgling in dash very obvious. Refilled/topped off coolant and "burped" coolant tank multiple times to try and release air pocket in coolant...all to no avail. No external signs of leak, no white exhaust, no coolant smell inside cabin, no wet floor mat. Heater runs HOT, A/C runs cold. No loss of power!

Scared to take it in, as we all know what will happen. I'm sure they will say its a head gasket, but it just doesn't seem to add up with no loss of power? Could the head be warped?

Before the EGR hose blew, car has never had a temp problem at all.

Any ideas? Please chime in, as this has been a long 6 week process, and I'm really afraid the bullet holes (that I'm about to decorate it with) will hurt the resale/trade-in value!
Old August 2nd, 2013, 8:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

How did that EGR tube blowout? That tube is made of metal so I'm just curious to hear exactly how it failed.

Without knowing anything else, I'd guess that some wires may have been damaged when that tube failed, and you now have some sort of electrical/wiring issue somewhere between the engine coolant temp sensor (ECTS) and the gauge cluster (not literally/physically, but referring to electrical order of operation: ECTS>PCM>BCM>gauge cluster). If you have access to a good scan tool, you can check to see if the coolant temp fluctuates wildly when observing the real-time data. If it does not fluctuate much then the gauge cluster may be bad. If it does fluctuate, then the gauge cluster is probably fine but you'd still have to do some further electrical checking to find the source of the problem.

A very faint gurgling sound coming from the dash is normal. This is just coolant flowing through the heater core. It would still be wise to ensure that the cooling system is properly bled. Start the engine and let it warm up a few minutes to make sure the thermostat opens up. Then, with the engine still running, temporarily loosen the bleeder screw (located on top of water pump housing) until you don't see any bubbles in the coolant that will leak out.

Last edited by ruley73; August 2nd, 2013 at 8:33 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Temp gauge hot when engine is not!

EGR hose/pipe failed at a factory bend in the pipe.

Thanks for reaffirming my fears of electrical issues, lol...we have had the same thoughts, however, were secretly hoping not, as a proper diagnosis can be difficult for a layman.

Feel free to ask any questions if more info is needed on an issue, as we will readily check it out and report back.

-Roslyn
Old February 23rd, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Resolution to overheating

I was having issues with my 2008 Chevy Equinox overheating when idle. If I drove on freeway or with minimum stopping car would be fine as soon as I would pause at a light for no more than a minute the gauge would start to rise. Also I had NO HEAT. I had multiple mechanics look at it with alot of different diagnosis. First I was told head gasket. I replaced thermostat, water pump, and I had radiator flushed and lines cleaned. Still no resolution finally I took it to a reputable dealer in my area. I had air trapped in my cooling system and I had to have my cooling fan assembly replaced. Almost $800-1000 later my car is fixed and I have regained my peace of mind. I Hope this helps I have searched the internet and I see alot of people are having this problem with this car.