Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Temp Gauge Not Working 07 Nox

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Not Working 07 Nox

The temp gauge on our Equinox does not register correct all of the time. Dealer says we have to replace the cluster at 700+. I was wondering if there was anywhere to get one re-built or buy a repaired one?

Thanks
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You may want to look at www.gmpartsdirect.com. You should be able to find this part on the website. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2011, 3:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeSkeeter
The temp gauge on our Equinox does not register correct all of the time. Dealer says we have to replace the cluster at 700+. I was wondering if there was anywhere to get one re-built or buy a repaired one?

Thanks
I doubt it is the cluster.

Unless they have ruled out a bad Coolant temp sensor and confirmed the cooling system is in good working order I'd be skeptical. Clusters very rarely fail.

Please elaborate on "does not register correct all of the time". Where does the temp needle usually sit? The 3/8 mark is the normal operating temp. Does the needle sit at at or below the lowest mark when you first start the engine after it's been sitting overnight? If not, I'd replace the coolant temp sensor. This should cause a troublecode/check engine indicator if this is the case.
Old August 24th, 2011, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Some times it reads correct other times its peg all the way up and others all the way down. Does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. And there is no set pattern to it.
Old August 24th, 2011, 5:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by JoeSkeeter
Some times it reads correct other times its peg all the way up and others all the way down. Does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. And there is no set pattern to it.
See my previous post. I would definitely try replacing the coolant temp sensor before replacing the cluster. An OEM coolant temp sensor for your car is GM p/n 12608814 and runs about $30 from your local stealership. You can also use Wells p/n SU112 which runs about $22 from your local AutoZone, but you will need the part number as the parts guy will not be able to look it up. However, that OEM p/n 12608814 does cross reference to SU112 so it is correct.

This part should take less then 10 minutes to replace, and it is it cheap enough that it is worth a shot.

Good luck
Old February 8th, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I just ran into the same problem with my 07, what was the final fix? New gauge or sensor? Thanks
Old February 18th, 2012, 2:16 AM
CF Junior Member

well, i just made a post on a failing fuel guage in my 07 nox. with teh price you quited for the cluster my jaw dropped that they would suggest such a thing. i doubt its the cluster as well. i would suspect the connection as much as i would suspect a sensor. Im almost leaning on a connection myself. if you find the connectors in teh line, you would want to pull them loose, clean them with a micro flat ended file and a small wire brush, and reseat them a couple times making sure they click shut at the last connection.

This is what i will probably have to do for the fuel guage. But i do wonder if its just the sensor, and i assume thats in the tank.

anyway good luck.

would have been nice if you reported back with your final fix, as previous poster mentioned. Keep in mind, these forums are only as good as the posted solutions. :-O
Old February 20th, 2012, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced the sensor and still have the problem. Have not yet pulled the cluster to be repaired. I don't think it could be anything else.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

ooh thats bad news for points against the cluster.

i learned in electronic engineering there is a (fill in some large percentage) chance the short is due to the connection medium. I think its 90%. This means check all connections first.

If you ever catch it off, i would measure the voltage or restance of wherever you can stick a dmm(multi meter) probe into. then go from there forward(towards the cluster) if you get normal values, or from there backward(towards the tank) if you get bad values. .

I haven't found the time for it yet, and my wife hasn't mentioned it still doing it. We have been driving the more economical car lately due to long commutes.

Last edited by wolfdogg; March 2nd, 2012 at 6:35 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 9:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
ooh thats bad news for points against the cluster.

i learned in electronic engineering there is a (fill in some large percentage) chance the short is due to the connection medium. I think its 90%. This means check all connections first.

If you ever catch it off, i would measure the voltage or restance of wherever you can stick a dmm(multi meter) probe into. then go from there forward(towards the cluster) if you get normal values, or from there backward(towards the tank) if you get bad values. .

I haven't found the time for it yet, and my wife hasn't mentioned it still doing it. We have been driving the more economical car lately due to long commutes.
If the temp sensor was wired directly to the gauge, this wouldn't be a bad idea. However, all data that is displayed on the cluster is transmitted digitally.

I would definitely check any connections/plugs that you can.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Not Working 07 Nox