Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue burning oil bad and clinging sounds from the motor it is very frustrating i have been a GM fan for a long time I GOT AN APPOINTMENT ON THE 18/11/2014 SO I TOLD THEM TO BE FIXING THIS PROB i still have warranty so just waiting
Old September 4th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox stalling and burning oil and also terrain

my wife has a 2012 Equinox. She also had a 2010. Both have had a ton of issues. Most notably burning through oil. We thought it was isolated to her 2010 so we traded it in and got a 2012. Well now that one has started doing the same thing. It has gotten to the point that it has begun shaking and stalling out while she is driving. The car currently has 50,000 miles on it. I also have a 2012 terrain that has also been burning oil and has been running like crap for a while now. It also has 50,000 miles on it. My terrain began shaking when at stops to the point of feeling like it was going to stall out but it stopped doing that but currently runs very loud. My wife's Equinox continues to get worse. We are going to bring it into the dealership. We have two very young kids and her car has been stalling out for the past week. This is ridiculous. Two equinoxes and one terrain all with the same or similar issues. I have always bought Gm but I don't think I ever will again. Ford here we come!!
Old October 16th, 2015, 5:26 PM
Newly Registered

yup, my 2012, same oil consumption issue. 1 quart per 1,000 miles. gas milage sucks too, averages about 19mpg with the 4cyl. Complained a million times to GM, was told it's normal. No real car guy would say that, they're point blank lying. That's more frustrating than that actual problem itself.

anthony.lagrasta@att.net
Old November 19th, 2015, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default fix the car !!!

2010 equanox burning oil sounds like a diesel....was trying to stop running pulled off road shut off ...no Warning light ...EVER. NO OIL LITE !!! THE DEALER SAID THEY DiDNT KNOW WHY IT WAS USING OIL !!!! single mom works all the time this us my 2 nd equanox !!! Big car payment ....I haven't had it a year yet !! No warranty !!! Recall or fix my car !!!! Before I get killed in it when it quits in traffic !!!! Pissed off some one e mail me on a soliution loricaudle@yahoo.com

Last edited by Lori Messick Caudle; November 19th, 2015 at 6:35 PM.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Angry This is a safety issue

So MONTHS ago my car started running really rough, I'd been taking it in every 3000 miles for oil changes but since checking the oil is about all I know how to do on a car, I decided to have a look. To my shock and dismay my dipstick was completely DRY! I added oil and took it in for another oil change early! This weekend my car randomly turned off when I stopped to let a passenger out. Yesterday, when reversing out of my drive way my car almost stalled out in oncoming traffic! Then I noticed the Engine Light came on.... I went on to dinner and when I was heading home my car turned off at EVERY stop light and almost got me rear-ended! Since I once had the oil issue I decided to check the oil again, and found AGAIN no oil! It has been 3030 miles and less than 2 months since my last oil change! CHEVY THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE AND HAD I BEEN INJURED LAST NIGHT THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A MUCH BIGGER ISSUE FOR YOU! When should your consumers expect a fix on this issue? Before or after someone gets killed?
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Is this fixed.

I am going to test drive and look at a 2010 Chevy Equinox. After reading about all the engine problems I am second guessing going to buy it. The car fax shows nothing about any problems. Is there a way to find out if the car i am looking at has been fixed? Can they be fixed? The carfax starts at 40,000 miles and it shows scheduled oil changes. But nothing about engine repairs. Need to know is there a way to find out by VIN number if the car has been fixed, if it can be fixed?
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default Checking the engine

In reality if the engine has this problem the ONLY way to fix it it replace the engine/ Mine started using oil at about 90k and by the time it was properly diagnosed (not really I demanded the manager solve the issue and fix it and I had to stuff the internet posts and reports up his nose for him to pay attention)
The only way to tell is to use a Bore scope to Look in one of the cylinders and look for the tiger stripes down the cylinders showing the cylinder wall damage.
On my engine- the valves were so clogged with oil carbon that the pistons were actually hitting the lumps of carbon (motor would audibly clunk or knock) Run on started to also rear its ugly head!
GM ignore this and has not recalled- BUT they KNOW its an issue thats widespread!
I liked the Equinox - it was a great drive.. too bad GM dropped the ball on this MASSIVE negligent lack of proper response to a severe problem.
Old December 15th, 2016, 4:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem, Chevy refuses to correct. So incredibly disappointed.

I have a 2010 equinox at 104,000 that has basically died sitting in my driveway. I'm positive it's from the oil consumption problems. Oil changed were always done when the car said to. I have 2 or 3 different oil change receipts that say the oil level was so low or that there was none at all. The car would stall all the time and make terrible knocking noises that started around 60,000.

I had absolutely no idea about these problems until I did a little - no - a lot of digging around the internet. Chevy certainly doesn't want anyone to know about these problems! MY ENGINE NEVER WOULD HAVE DIED IF IT WERENT FOR THESE ENGINE PROBLEMS THAT CHEVY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR.
I called my Chevy dealer and they said we would need a new engine which would be around $6,000.00.

The only things I see is that people are getting oil consumption tests done but I can't even do that because the car is dead now. I have no clue what to do. We already bought a new car, and certainly wasn't a Chevy again. But now I have this 25,000 dollar piece of junk sitting in my driveway that we have no idea what to do with and that Chevy isn't going to fix.

Time to fess up GM. These problems are not our fault and after paying over 25,000 for a car, you should atleast make sure you have a reliable product.

Can we start some kind of class action lawsuit for this since so many people are having this issue?!

Last edited by Will Wegner; December 15th, 2016 at 4:49 AM.
Old January 10th, 2017, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Well, we had about 4 good years on the replacement engine in my 2010 Equinox. This fall I learned that I had a cracked exhaust manifold that needed replacement (lucky me). I asked the service writer at the dealership if it could have been weakened by the crappy original engine burning oil and was told it was unrelated. When the car was in the shop they came in to tell me that my dipstick was dry, even though I had just had an oil change only 2500 miles earlier. When I asked how this could happen again with the replacement engine, the service writer told me that GM had not fully corrected the issue with the 2.4L engine at the time my original engine was replaced in 2012, and that they continue to have problems even with replacement engines. I pointed out that my powertrain warranty had already expired and he said that coverage had been extended to 10 yrs/120K miles with customers getting new piston rings on GM's dime to try to fix the excessive oil consumption. He reassured me that I would not have to pay for any of this if it was necessary.

On Saturday my "Change Oil Soon" warning came on and yesterday and today the engine started stalling at stop signs and lights again. Thank God our kids weren't in the car - this is incredibly dangerous! I called the dealership and they said to bring it right in with no appointment. We were supposed to have started an oil consumption test again back in late October but apparently the dealership service writer didn't actually write anything down at the time or when it had it in during early December for a brake service and I asked them to check the engine oil level. So when I brought it in today all my service writer could tell me was that I was definitely "really low" on oil. This engine - the replacement from 2012 - only has ~60K miles on it and it's doing the exact same thing as the original engine.

While the techs changed my oil they checked thoroughly and there's absolutely no sign of an oil leak anywhere. Today's service writer said we can start an oil consumption test but that he ran my VIN and none of the special TSBs extending coverage to 10 yrs/120K miles applies to my vehicle so I will have to pay for any repairs or "try to argue with GM" about it to see if they'll pick up part of the tab. I started the oil consumption test with the dealership today at 100K miles and in the meantime will be documenting this myself with pictures of the dipstick oil levels (both cold and warm engine) every 500 miles. I am now sharing my story on social media not because I think GM is actually going to make this right, but to warn other customers not to buy an Equinox.

Some might say that this is expected in a 7 year old vehicle with 100K miles on it. However, the engine itself only has ~60K miles on it and the exact same thing is happening as happened before. My husband's Toyota is 3 years older and has close to 200K miles on it and it's far more reliable than my Equinox. Having a car that randomly stalls while driving is an unacceptable safety risk with our kids in the car. I would cut my losses now and unload it before anything big breaks due to this problem, but I'll never get a decent value on trade-in or private party sale because of these engine troubles.

Like I said in my original post - I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm disgusted by GM's poor quality on these 2.4L engines and their failure to stand behind vehicles that owners paid good money for.
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

After ranting on Twitter about this issue endangering me and my children, Chevrolet customer care opened a case number. So the oil consumption test showed >1 quart of oil lost in 1100 miles and the dealership service dept. said they would contact Chevrolet for me and let me know if there's anything to be done. Today Chevy customer care informed me that the oil consumption is indeed excessive and I need new pistons (!) but that since my Equinox is out of warranty they won't be offering any coverage for the cost of these repairs.

I asked for them to confirm that Service Bulletin 14159 does not apply to my vehicle. I have a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L engine and confirmed excessive oil consumption with a need for piston replacement as a result, so I can't understand why I don't get the special coverage to 10 years/120K miles that this service bulletin seems to provide to owners.

To say that I'm disgusted is an understatement.

Quick Reply: Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!