Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 chevy express 2500 cranking but no fire

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 chevy express 2500 cranking but no fire

I've read different articles about this same issue but figured I would add my problem. Drove the van in 35 degree weather, then sat for 5 days in below 15 degree temps. Ran fine up until I tried to start after sitting. The van will crank all day but not fire, unless you spray starting fluid in the air boot.

Changed the distributor cap and rotor -checked spark, and have spark

Changed fuel filter -Checked fuel pressure, has about 63 psi and holds that pressure

Checked all the fuses with a multimeter, also pulled and reseated them.

Hooked up cheaper scan tool, no codes.

I'm thinking about key/security system? -Did turn the key on and let set for 10 mins, nothing
Old February 24th, 2014, 6:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If spraying starter fluid into the intake makes it stat, then it is a fuel issue.
Those vans have the poppet valves at the end of the spider in the manifold. They are not individual injectors. They can have an issue where they do not let fuel out properly.
My first test would be to get some really good fuel system cleaner, and get the van running, and see if it cleans things out a bit. It that won't work , then you may have to pull the intake and did into it further.....ouch. I have the same van and have not had that issue.
Another check is to check the injectors that spray into the spider. I think there is 2. The cold start injector might not be working. I can't remember as I type this if you can test it without pulling the manifold. you might be able to check the wiring to the injector though at least.

hope that helps.
Old February 24th, 2014, 6:40 PM
CF Veteran

Part 1 -How to Test the 'Spider' Fuel Injector Assembly (4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L)
Old February 25th, 2014, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Seems like there is zero fuel getting sprayed, since it dies once the starting fluid is consumed. It finally got up to 50degrees for a day but nothing has helped. I really hate to take a vehicle to the shop, with an issue like this but might have to have her towed.

I'm still trying to get any idea if anyone with an express van has had issues with the passlock security, like so many other GM owners.

Thanks for the help!
Old February 25th, 2014, 9:49 AM
CF Veteran

I'm pretty sure it would not fire at all if is a passlock security issue. The immobilizer would inhibit the ignition not the fuel system. Since it fires when you spray fluid, then its not ignition.
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thats what I was figuring as well but reading other threads on that PASSLOCK, they say it will shut down the injectors but will fire on starting fluid. It's a way to check passlock problem from a fuel pump problem.

I'm going to try and check the spyder/injectors to see if I can figure out if there firing or not. Again, thanks for the help.
Old February 25th, 2014, 7:00 PM
CF Veteran

Found this online.....

This is a 30 minute procedure. make sure you have a battery charger on it. to begin, insert the key into igniton, attempt to crank the engine, do not start. leave key in the on position. if the system is working properly after 10 minutes the security light should go out. turn key off for 5 seconds and then back on and attempt to crank engine again, do not start, after 10 minutes the security light should go out. repeat the above steps a third time. after the third time. turn key off and then start the van, if system is working properly it will learn the passlock again and car will start. if this does not work, try it once more making sure you followed these steps. any variation from these steps will stop the learn process. if it stiil does not work, then you either have a bad passlock module or sensor.
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Ya I tried that trick with no luck, but my security light does NOT stay on. So that might mean its not a security problem.

I think you were probably on a better path with spdyer/injector issue. I've also been told that in rare cases the crank sensor will send a spark code but no injector code. Another mechanic said to look into the key cylinder, chevy has horrid problems with them. Guess I will try a few things this weekend.

Hate to have to tow her somewhere!
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:48 AM
CF Veteran

The key should not be the issue, as the 02 has a lesser passlock. No chip in key.
I saw a post where a guy replaced his fuel pressure regulator.....