Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

05 Express AWD Rear AC Removal

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 4:31 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Express AWD Rear AC Removal

I just bought an 05 AWD Express van and am in the process of creating a camper van. I want to remove the rear ac/heating unit, but would like some advice on how to proceed before I just start tearing stuff out. Do coolant lines run all the way to the back? If so, what do I need to do to plug those?

To be clear, my AC unit sits behind the driver's side rear wheel... fills the space between the wheel well and the back door (sits on the floor). I've heard there are a few different styles. That said, it does look factory, although it could certainly be an aftermarket unit.

And I found a few "rear ac block-off" kits (links below). Any thoughts on whether either/both/neither are all I need to finish the project (aside from an ac recharge)?

Thanks!

Rear AC Block Off Kits, BK15055 Rear A/C Block Off Kit GMC Savana/ Chevy Express Vans

Chev, GMC full size Savanna, Express Van Rear A/C Block Kit
Old March 14th, 2020, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to do the same thing with an ‘07... any luck?
Old March 14th, 2020, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

As his post states, Mr. Dibo hasn't been to the forum in 5 years. But his suspicions were correct. A/C refrigerant and engine coolant lines run all they way from under the hood to the rear of the vehicle. So you'll need to find a way to delete those.

Coolant should be easy enough. Cut off hoses and insert a stopper with a hose clamp. Or just pinch it off.

Refrigerant is pressurized. You may want to let a pro do that.