Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1976 GMC Vandura 2500 (350 V8) - Timing questions

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2011, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 GMC Vandura 2500 (350 V8) - Timing questions

Hi all,

I have a 1976 GMC Vandura 2500 with a 350 V8 and Edelbrock Performer 650cfm carb. Just rolled it over to 100,000 miles 2 weeks ago.

I am wondering if anyone would know the proper timing for this engine as searching google or the forums comes up with many different "opinions" on the matter.

Also, could retarded timing cause a rich smelling exhaust on rapid deceleration? This has been an issue for quite some time.

Timing with no vacuum on distributer is 4 degrees BTDC
Timing with vacuum is somewhere blocked by the water pump which I have read is normal.

Would I be better off using the vacuum gauge trick for the timing which is basically turn the distributer until the vacuum is at it's highest to time the ignition, or just using the timing mark on the balancer.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Bonjour @bommer,

c'est le 2ème messages que je lis de toi, et personne ne répond à tes questions..!?? Inquiétant.

Ce forum est-il actif ? Les gens se donnent-ils la peine de les lires et d'y répondre ? Je commence à douter.

À bientôt, et j'espère que tu(bommer) auras trouvés les réponses à tes questions. ;-)

Cordialement,
Carl-Dave
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not everyone responds unfortunately.....and worse, some folks get advice and dont come back to tell us how the issue was finally resolved......Its those answers that make the site work.
If you have a similar issue or question, start your own thread.....and English please...lol.
Old March 8th, 2016, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Bonjour @canucklehead,

merci pour ta réponse, c'est gentil et je peux comprendre parfaitement tes dires concernant les gens qui écrivent des sujets et ne donnent malheureusement pas de suivi.

Pour la langue utilisé, j'utilise habituellement cette qui priorise au Forum, mais
à force, je me dis aussi que tout comme je le fais, les autres le peuvent tout aussi.. utiliser un traducteur! ;-)
C'est pas difficile, la preuve, je peux te lire. lol

Cordialement,
Carl-Dave
Old March 11th, 2016, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

For the timing issue I found out that I had some other issues... like a sticking exhaust valve, and missing tooth on my camshaft sprocket. I had to replace the timing gears and chain... A&A Discount Auto Parts... $60 in 2011.
Since then I had the van running nicely. Re-did my exhaust, replaced the transmission with a TCI Street & Strip TH350 transmission and did all of the body work and had it painted.
Since the van became my daily driver, I put more wear and tear on it than I wanted to before replacing my engine.
The van died in a hail of sputtering coolant-infused exhaust, and milkshake looking oil driving up highway 6 in Hamilton Ontario.
(cracked cylinder head on passenger side hydro-locked engine with coolant and snapped my crankshaft in 2)
It sat in my work's parking lot for 6 months, when the owner told me to remove it, then lived 2 years on a $20/month storage lot, followed by a sad and solemn trip to the auto-wreckers on the back of a flatbed tow truck.

I miss my Vandura every day as I drive my crappy Ford Expedition which cost me more in 4 years for repairs than the van did over 7 years in repairs and upgrades.

Anyone have a 1970's vandura for sale on the cheap?
I need something to drop my TCI S&S TH350 and Edelbrock Performer carb into.

/RANT
Old November 18th, 2019, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bommer
Hi all,

I have a 1976 GMC Vandura 2500 with a 350 V8 and Edelbrock Performer 650cfm carb. Just rolled it over to 100,000 miles 2 weeks ago.

I am wondering if anyone would know the proper timing for this engine as searching google or the forums comes up with many different "opinions" on the matter.

Also, could retarded timing cause a rich smelling exhaust on rapid deceleration? This has been an issue for quite some time.

Timing with no vacuum on distributer is 4 degrees BTDC
Timing with vacuum is somewhere blocked by the water pump which I have read is normal.

Would I be better off using the vacuum gauge trick for the timing which is basically turn the distributer until the vacuum is at it's highest to time the ignition, or just using the timing mark on the balancer.
jj the easiest way is to mark your mark all the way thru the pulleys to find your way and clear a way for your light tighten the dist so it takes both hands and adjust it into your mark then plug the cachime advance back in and heck it again. & remember that the rotor eliment acually points to the #1 cylendar although it will still run 180 out tdc pointed toward the passinger seat.