Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Steering lock-up & starting problems

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering lock-up & starting problems

My 2000 Express 3500 has been recently experiencing a steering lock problem. It seems that when I make a slow, sharp left turn, like into a parking spot, the steering locks up and will not allow me to straighten out the steering. It's like I only have the left 20% of the steering range. To I have turn the wheel all the way to the left, and try to see if the steering will go back to normal. Sometime I may have to try this proceedure two or three times befor it will resume normal steering, and sometines hear a 'clunk'. It only happens at low speed and on sharp left turns. I don't see any obstruction under the car so I am leaning towards a bad steering box. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what might cause it ??
The other recent problem is with starting. On occasion, when I turn the key to start, all I hear is a 'click'. I assume this is the relay under the hood. If I try to start it several times, eventually it will start right up. The battery seems strong. Could it be the relay ? Or the 'in-park' indicator on the steering shaft ?
Any help on these problems is very much appreciated, Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2011, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

I seemed to have fixed the starting problem by just cleaning off the battery terminals and the starter relay contacts under the hood. So far ... so good. Still wondering about the steering lock up problem.

Originally Posted by cabinet
My 2000 Express 3500 has been recently experiencing a steering lock problem. It seems that when I make a slow, sharp left turn, like into a parking spot, the steering locks up and will not allow me to straighten out the steering. It's like I only have the left 20% of the steering range. To I have turn the wheel all the way to the left, and try to see if the steering will go back to normal. Sometime I may have to try this proceedure two or three times befor it will resume normal steering, and sometines hear a 'clunk'. It only happens at low speed and on sharp left turns. I don't see any obstruction under the car so I am leaning towards a bad steering box. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what might cause it ??
The other recent problem is with starting. On occasion, when I turn the key to start, all I hear is a 'click'. I assume this is the relay under the hood. If I try to start it several times, eventually it will start right up. The battery seems strong. Could it be the relay ? Or the 'in-park' indicator on the steering shaft ?
Any help on these problems is very much appreciated, Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Cabinet,

I am glad that the issue is getting resolved and everything is good so far. Have you contacted a dealership about the steering locking up? Keep us updated.

Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 13th, 2011, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

I talked to the dealer but surely they gave me no insight, but rather wanted me to bring it in for an expensive diagnosis.