Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1985 G30 Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 G30 Stereo Install

Hello all,

This is probably a topic that has been covered many times, but I am replacing the old analog, dial-**** radio/cassette stereo head unit in my 1985 G30 motorhome with a newer Eclipse CD2000 that I had lying around. I wanted to share some info and get opinions.

Last night I pulled the old head unit. I have the 3-plug wire harness pictured, but no 4th plug for "(M) 12V Battery Wire." This makes sense to me, since a dial-**** radio and cassette player wouldn't need constant voltage to remember any particular settings (i.e. station presets, clock, CD track, etc.)

Any newer head unit is going to have a 12V ignition hook-up, which turns the unit on and off with the vehicle ignition, as well as a 12V battery hook-up which will remember the presets mentioned above. I could combine the battery and ignition wire at the harness, but am I correct that the proper way would be to run a new wire to something that is always "hot" in the fuse box?

I think it may also be a good idea to add an in-line fuse to this new battery wire. Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone do this already?
Attached Thumbnails 1985 G30 Stereo Install-stereo-install.jpg   1985 G30 Stereo Install-head-unit-battery-wire.jpg  
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just run to fuse box or to cig lighter wire. Its only half an amp for that memory wire so you won't overload anything you tie into.
Old May 20th, 2014, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Just run to fuse box or to cig lighter wire. Its only half an amp for that memory wire so you won't overload anything you tie into.
Hi Canucklehead,

Thanks again for your responses. Is the Cig lighter always hot in an older vehicle? I know in my cars, the power is cut when the ignition is off. Having a hot wire right there would definitely be the easiest solution. However, running a wire to a fuse tap would be no big deal assuming the fuse panel is always hot.

Regards,
Ty