Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1991 1 ton fuel problem

Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 1 ton fuel problem

Hello, first post here. I searched and didn't find an answer to my question. I have a 1991 G30 1 ton. The van dies at half tank when making a right hand turn. Put gas in it and it runs fine. It has a 30 gallon tank. Somewhere around half tank it'll die when making right turns and occasionally a left one. I also noticed the gas gauge stopped working about the same time this issue came up. Is this a common problem? Do I simply need to drop the tank down and take a look at the pick-up tube and sender unit? I have replaced the fuel filter and no change. The only other fuel system changes are a turned up pressure regulator for a lean condition resulting from a bigger cam and a custom tune. Van runs good and strong through all rpms at any fuel level in a straight line. Make that right hand turn though and the sucker quits. Fuel mixture is spot on. van has 140,000 miles with brand new GM 350 crate motor 8,000 miles ago.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I have heard of something like that but sounds as though your going in the right direction. The problem may be obvious after dropping the tank but doing that half filled will be a real pain.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, I will just siphon the gas out. I thought some one might know if there is a baffle or something in the tank to help prevent this.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 2:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe running the higher pressure has burned out the fuel pump.....
Old March 23rd, 2016, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Maybe running the higher pressure has burned out the fuel pump.....
This doesn't explain why it runs fine in all other conditions. Its only running 14 psi. Which is about the top end of pressure these pumps put out anyway. I'm going to just drop the tank and have a look-see. Maybe it'll be obvious. Maybe installing a baffle could help too.

Search this Thread