Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 Chevy G20 Ignition Issues...TRIED EVERYTHING...

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Chevy G20 Ignition Issues...TRIED EVERYTHING...

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Thanks so much for all the useful information already provided in old threads.

I'm having trouble with my G20 Cargo (V8 5.0L) van. I stopped at the gas station, filled up, got back in the van, turned the key, and nothing. No click, no beeping tone, no radio. Headlights and dome lights still function fine.

Here's what I've tried so far...

1. Stripped 1 inch of all cables going to both positive and negative battery terminals as they were showing slight corrosion.

2. Tried beating on the starter with a big wrench while my girlfriend turned the key (she's really good at this job as well as holding the flashlight haha).

3. Tried starting the van by connecting large solenoid terminal to the small terminal. The starter started turning over, engine wouldn't fire, starter stayed on until I rushed to the battery to disconnect the positive cable. Unlike a couple other threads I read, the starter doesn't kick right in again when I re-connect the positive cable.

3. Measured voltage at solenoid while key was being turned. Large terminal was reading 12+V. Both small terminals read NO voltage.

4. Replaced ignition switch. Like I read in another post, the switch I bought from Auto Zone was correct but the mount was different so I threw the new mount on it.

5. Tried jiggling everything, moving steering wheel tilt up and down, checking every connector I can find, using a backup key i made months ago that has no wear, and checking every fusible link I can find.

6. I bought a new neutral safety switch but haven't installed it yet...that's tomorrow's project.

At this point, since I'm not reading voltage at the solenoid, my problem must lie between the key and the solenoid right?

I'm open to any and EVERY idea! I'm by no means a skilled mechanic so I know there's things I might be missing here. Any thoughts are welcome. That's the beauty of a forum right?!

Quick responses would be greatly appreciated as my van is sitting in a Holiday Gas Station parking lot...

Thanks in advance!
Old February 18th, 2012, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

Did you check all the fuses? That would be the first thing I would do.
Old August 17th, 2012, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1983 No ignition :(

Ive got a simular problem!! mine is completly dead though no lights on dash, no anything, its as though i dont even have the battery connected....Ive checked all the fuses and battery is fully charged! If I come up with anything ill get back to you .......Good Luck