Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1993 Chevy Van heater Control valve

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Chevy Van heater Control valve

The valve was leaking at the vacuum butterfly. A new one at Advance Auto costs $14.99, but I had their coupon and discount which made it $10.49. There are 4 hoses that connect to mine. 2 come from the heater core, 1 from the engine and 1 from the radiator. Takes about 1 hour to replace if you do it right. Be sure to tighten the clamps good to avoid future leaks from the valves.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 28th, 2013, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that cut off flow to the heater core in the summer? Just wondering what that part does. Thanks for the writeup too.

Brew
Old January 7th, 2017, 5:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Changed mine in a 92 GMC Vandura only to find it's leaking again from the body. PITA to change and more ticked that it's inferior!
Old January 7th, 2017, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Forgot to mention barely any miles on it and made it 1 year.
Old January 15th, 2017, 6:24 AM
CF Active Member

SummerShandy:

Those AutoZone / Advance valves are known for problems. Read the reviews on their websites, leaks etc in a short period of time.

Yeah, they ARE a PITA to change but I'll bet you have more clearance than on a 2000 Express w/ 5.7L (I was working by feel for most part). My 'new' valve is defective too. Mine didn't start leaking but only has two heat settings it will do: OFF or INCINERATE!

This is one of the times I'd bite the bullet and buy OEM (from Amazon etc and never the dealership): 1993 GMC van valves - you have to narrow down your search w/ model details: http://amzn.to/2jM7zbK
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Since then I've read all about these faulty valves from other posts. I know the boys at AutoPro and they did end up replacing it under warranty but I refuse to install it. I ordered an ACDelco direct from GM auto parts for about the same price. Hopefully this one is better. Ya, I prolly do have more room than you to work on it so I'll quit bitchin' haha. My A/C can is what's in the way mostly.
Old January 16th, 2017, 5:20 AM
CF Active Member

Yep, AC can is in the way here too. You can pull the valve out enough to change one hose... the rest are by feel... and you can't get anything in there to grip the squeeze clamps. God help you if one of those preformed hoses burst...

Same thing here - even if they'll replace it under warranty who wants to do that job three times?
Old January 21st, 2017, 9:27 AM
CF Junior Member

So I got my OEM valve from GM (right) and what a difference. It "feels" better quality. There are no screws holding it together like the aftermarket one (left). The "rod" for a better lack of terms is crimped at the end and shorter making operation smoother. The best part is the plastic inside 2 ports from the production moulding of the aftemarket. I noticed my old one had some too....good fluid flow there. None in my new one. I'll sure to be back if this one fails but I don't think so. I'd like to thank the person that suggested using antifreeze to help lubricate when attaching the hoses to the nipples...seemed to work.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Chevy Van heater Control valve-img_6193.jpg   1993 Chevy Van heater Control valve-img_6198.jpg