Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995 G20 conversion question

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 G20 conversion question

hello, a I am new owner of a 1995 g20 with a conversion package. In general I have no problems, except with a couple of the conversions and have had no luck findout info. if anyone could help I would be most appreciative.

1) my van has earphone plugs for TV and the separate stereo that is for the back of the van, I cant see to get these to work.

I figured this one out. There is an auxillary sound plug in the back of the console, it is VERY short and will pop out if the tv is removed. i have reattached it, I will be getting an extension to make it easier. attaching the aux sound out plug allows use of the ear phones or the tv to be pumped into the back speakers for a pretty good surround sound.

2) the stereo in the back of the van, doesnt seem to come on, no idea. still on idea on this one, I will attempt to take it apart this weekend and see what the wiring looks like.

I took the stereo out of the wall. It appears to be a boom box wired into the wall. the wiring for power has a ground but the line that brings power has a fuse and doesnt appear to be hooked up correctly in my opinion, ill have to consult a professional.

3) The rear air has a turn *** up front but not fan or air comes out the back.

still working on this one. as best as I can tell there is only one compressor, not sure what this *** even does, if anything, except maybe open and close the back vents?

Blower is dead. I can get a new one for $100, but where it is located would take alot of work to get to it, and would have to remove much of the conversion stuff. I got a $11 12 volt fan instead, works pretty well. The regular air is very cold, so we will get by.

4) the solar panel. I assume it is there to keep the battery charged? I have a panel that shows it is trickling power or is there some other purpose?

I havent found an aux battery, so it appears this provides a charge to the battery, as all the extras appear to run right out of the battery. it still works and helps to keep the system charged, however I havent run the math.

ok, pretty sure no aux battery. it appears to be a 5 watt solar panel trickle charger, kinda nice, wont really power anything, but will help keep battery charged or re-charged.

sorry for newbie questions. my kids and I love the van, just cant find any answers to the above.

Last edited by pittkansasvan; June 11th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

additional question: how does one figure out what company did the conversion. I can find no name of the conversion company on the van. would there be a sticker or something concealed? I found a sticker on a door jam, Classic Conversions Inc., but they appear to be out of business.

does anyone know or have a manual for one of their conversions?

Last edited by pittkansasvan; June 11th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

I seem to have figured out my questions with a couple weekends of work. I did take it to a mechanic for a new tail pipe (mine was rusted through), nearly 5lbs of freon, new wipers, and a professional check of the cooling, oil and charging systems, as well as a general look at the belts and hoses. All the above cost me about $300. add that to the $4700, and I have a 1995 Chevy G20 Classic Conversion Inc, van (quad captains chairs, rear bench to queen size bed, carpet, tv/vcr. 2 steros, 9 speakers, interior running lights,continental windows) with 46,000 miles. I am the second owner, and the previous owner had no children, the interior appears as new as possible. In the 150 miles home after purchase I got about 23 miles to the gallon, although around town I am getting closer to 12mph. great van.

I will be installing a game system in the future as well as a a/v selector switch so we can go from games to vcr without re-wiring.
Old June 11th, 2012, 5:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dump the crappy AV system. Who needs a 9" TV and a tape deck? Get a 15" LCD HDTV with a game console and use the tape deck area for CD/DVD/MP3 stereo set up with a wall mounted amp. run video cables to the LCD in the TV area. Replace the speakers too, they also suck.

Classic went out of business? Ok, well then there is no manufacturer info on this thing.
Old June 14th, 2012, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have a '94 conversion...just bought it yesterday, so I am digging thru forums for a couple answers:

1) I have the same problem with the rear a/c blower. That switch in the dash that says, off - low - med - high, controls a fan that is in that compartment behind the right-rear wheel.

The previous owner said it did not work, but when I put it on high, I could hear the fan motor weakly turning, and a wee bit of air coming out the 4 overhead vents. But that happened only once, then later in the day, nothing.

I opened that rear compartment, disconnected what looked like the electric cable, and tested the leads for voltage...seemed like a couple were dead (not sure if I was testing correctly), and one showed 7 to 9 volts.

The blower motor seems to be inside the black plastic housing that is right there...I took out a couple screws, but it looks like much more dissassembly is required to get to the motor.

I will do more research/fiddling after this weekend as we are going on a little trip.

Let's keep each other advised as to what we find.

Thanks...
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wsalopek
I have a '94 conversion...just bought it yesterday, so I am digging thru forums for a couple answers:

1) I have the same problem with the rear a/c blower. That switch in the dash that says, off - low - med - high, controls a fan that is in that compartment behind the right-rear wheel.

The previous owner said it did not work, but when I put it on high, I could hear the fan motor weakly turning, and a wee bit of air coming out the 4 overhead vents. But that happened only once, then later in the day, nothing.

I opened that rear compartment, disconnected what looked like the electric cable, and tested the leads for voltage...seemed like a couple were dead (not sure if I was testing correctly), and one showed 7 to 9 volts.

The blower motor seems to be inside the black plastic housing that is right there...I took out a couple screws, but it looks like much more dissassembly is required to get to the motor.

I will do more research/fiddling after this weekend as we are going on a little trip.

Let's keep each other advised as to what we find.

Thanks...

My blower was disconnected at the fuse box. when plugged back in it made a horrible noise than blew the breaker. Per my mechanic, a new blower is $100, they had no estimate on how much labor. So the part is reasonable, I am just not a do it yourself kinda guy when it comes to stuff like that, good luck!
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
dump the crappy AV system. Who needs a 9" TV and a tape deck? Get a 15" LCD HDTV with a game console and use the tape deck area for CD/DVD/MP3 stereo set up with a wall mounted amp. run video cables to the LCD in the TV area. Replace the speakers too, they also suck.

Classic went out of business? Ok, well then there is no manufacturer info on this thing.

Its a 13" tv, but I agree with you. However, i have 2 little boys and it differs little to them at this time, I also have a large collection of VHS tapes, being a child of the 80s. I suspect it will get me where i need to go for a couple years.

However, when I replace it, a 13" lcd wont fit in the cabinent, however I could mount on top. I assume it would be better practice to get a converter to run the tv-dvd and enough juice for a game system instead of a direct 12v connection?
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX

Its a 13" tv, but I agree with you. However, i have 2 little boys and it differs little to them at this time, I also have a large collection of VHS tapes, being a child of the 80s. I suspect it will get me where i need to go for a couple years.

However, when I replace it, a 13" lcd wont fit in the cabinent, however I could mount on top. I assume it would be better practice to get a converter to run the tv-dvd and enough juice for a game system instead of a direct 12v connection?

I will most likely swap out the stereo for a new one with a cd controller-changer, and replace the back speakers, and others I can get to easily, at least.

lastly, the second stereo system in the back, for the kids, which I assume is hooked up to the back speakers appears to not be hooked to the power, I should be able to fix that.

Not true about classic. first, I am answering my questions as I figure them out in hopes it will aid someone in the future. Second, what I really would like is a manual from classic, I had hoped those would be around, but havent had any luck finding them.
Old June 19th, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pittkansasvan
My blower was disconnected at the fuse box. when plugged back in it made a horrible noise than blew the breaker. Per my mechanic, a new blower is $100, they had no estimate on how much labor. So the part is reasonable, I am just not a do it yourself kinda guy when it comes to stuff like that, good luck!
Looks like from here the motors are much cheaper:

94 1994 Chevrolet G20 Blower Motor - Climate Control - Delphi, Four Seasons, PartsMaster, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

In a couple weeks, I plan on trying to replace the motor myself...will report back on how difficult, and try to take picture and such as well.
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the update. i dont mind the mechanic charging me a bit more for parts, but a 100% plus mark up isnt pleasant. good luck.