Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1996 5.o running issues

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2015, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 5.o running issues

hi Im new here and have a question that has drivn me crazy. my 1996 express 1500 5.0 will run for about a hour and a half then shut down, have already replaced crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump relays,oil pressure switch, battery and going to change coil and ing module.
need to get this van running right, i neel all the help i can get on this
thanks
Old January 4th, 2015, 2:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you replace the fuel filter? Also are there any codes? You need to see if its fuel or spark before spending anymore $.
Old January 4th, 2015, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

yes the fuel filter has been changed, also when the van dies, we do not have spark to the plugs or coil (new coil) and we dont hear the fuel pump either, as already said it will start again after it sets for 20 to 30 min.also no codes out of it,either
Thanks

Last edited by MANOFTHETIRE; January 4th, 2015 at 4:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add some information
Old January 5th, 2015, 2:39 AM
CF Veteran

My first guess would be something that would affect both spark and signal to fuel pump.....Try a faulty ignition switch or relay....
the fuel pump relay and ignition relay are the same. swap them. if it happens again but this time its fuel that quits then its the relay....
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

will try what you recommend with the relays, but where is the ignition relay located
thanks
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Under the hood by the master cylinder there is a long black fuse block. Underside of the lid has the locations of whats what. The fuel and starter relays are side by side. Also, try the gear shift. Wiggle it while its running to see if it kills the engine. The neutral start switch could be off. it might think its in reverse.
Old January 10th, 2015, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

ok, but the fuel pump relay is five prong and the starter relay is four, will that work and if it will, i will try the wiggling at the same time and get back to you
Thanks
Old January 10th, 2015, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Iswitched the relays, and ran vehicle for two hours, all good, but when i shut it down and tried to recrank, it would not start, swapped relays back around and it fired back up and ran, so what do you think about this, the wiggle with the gear shift had no effect
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Replace the relay that you put in the starter position.....or both since they are not too expensive. The two relays have the same number on the back right? They do on my 2002. At least you can eliminate the relays if new, and then see if it has any issues after. Any codes?
Old January 11th, 2015, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

when running the van yesterday, felt the relay for extreme heat, while touching the relay, it would click under my fingers, and already installed pigtail installation and running the van to see if it keeps running, will let you know what happens
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 5.o running issues