Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1996 Express 5.0L stalls at idle. Ethanol?

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Express 5.0L stalls at idle. Ethanol?

H'lo all,
I do all my own work on my van and though it has 230k miles it runs like a champ. However...early this summer it started to stall while driving, always when coasting so engine RPM is always low or when stopped in traffic. I live in San Diego and when it's REAL hot and humid is when it starts happening. If I'm driving I'll stop, throw it in park and usually starts right back up, but sometimes it won't start at all. Then after 10 min. or so it will start up again. No error codes EVER.

I did some google searching and found that a lot of people have this problem and though sometimes they find a loose or corroded wire, most of them still have the problem, even after spending $1000's in repair attempts

I've completely gone through the fuel system, new fuel regulator, new fuel pump, fuel filter, gas cap, etc. etc.

Today I had an ah-ha moment while at the gas station and reading the notice on the pump that says there's 10% Ethanol in the gas. Came home and did some research on problems Ethanol can cause. Sure enough, problems with stalling at idle, vapor lock...and other things.

What do you guys think?
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol?

I live in San Diego too. I bought my 19971500 Express van with the 5.7L V-8 new and haven't had an ethanol problem; over 100,00 miles.
I know that ethanol can cause problems, but personally think that most of the stories about ethanol and old gas are just stories.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ethanol blended gas has been around forever. Its only old cars, boats etc that have issues. Newer vehicles...no way.
you mentioned going over the fuel system, but have you checked the ignition system? What about the Air filter, and emission system?
Check the cap, and look for corrosion on the pins. Make sure you run the proper iridium plugs.
How are you checking for codes? Some small hand held readers won't find every little thing, while a 2500 dollar shop one will......