Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 Chevy Express Van on Family Trip with Fuel ptoblems

Old August 16th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Express Van on Family Trip with Fuel ptoblems

Hi, please help. We are on our way to Alaska and our van 1999 Express van ,2500, 5.7 has developed a problem. We stopped for gas and when we got to the end of the exit, the van stalled. It started back up, ran for 30 seconds and stalled.
We had it towed to a dealer and they changed the fuel filter and replaced the error code sensors. After 6vhours there, we were off and 200 miles later we stopped and sadly, the same thing happened. If you let the van sit for 30 minutes, it will start and run fine. The dealer said the double checked the fuel pump and they said it was ok. But here we are sidelined again.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate input.
Our next step is to replace the fuel pump and possibly the crank sensor.

Thank you advance. Rick out
Old August 16th, 2015, 1:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the van stalls, take note of whether the fuel pump is priming when you turn the key on. It should run for a few seconds then stop. If you do not hear this then the fuel pump is going......If you are stuck on the roadside you can grab a rock and bang on the underside of the tank to jar the pump and that might get you down the road a bit more.
Fuel pumps fail in weird ways.....sometimes it will freeze once and then last another 3 years....or it might just go all together.
Let us know what you find.
Old August 20th, 2015, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

^^^x2 Had this happen to me twice on my 03 Express. Changed fuel pump twice. Dont even have 90k.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel problem fixed

After another visit to a good GM dealer this time, they diagnosed the fuel pump as the issue right away. The other dealer put on $571 of unneeded sensors and other items and even though I told them it was a fuel pump, they assured me it wasn't and sent me down the road only to have failure again.

The second dealer, Kupper in Bismarck ND, was excellent in their work and consideration. They got me in right away and I was back on the road by 11am.

The fix was correct and no other issues have occured. We just pulled into Anchorage AK after driving straight through from Banff BC. That was 3.5 days of driving in a,15 year old Express Van with 174,000 miles.

Than you to as ll the helped and thank you to Todd and Brad at Kupper Chevrolet in Bismarck ND.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 2:28 PM
CF Veteran

Nice. Too bad about the other dealer and the cost. Remember, the fuel in the tank cools the pump. Don't run it under a 1/4 tank for long periods, as that can shorten pump life.
Enjoy the North.
Old August 24th, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

invest in a fuel pressure gauge
its a little hassle to have to remove the engine cover but you can check the gauge from inside the van
Old February 10th, 2017, 2:30 AM
CF Beginner

I got a Chevy van 2500 changed fuel pump won't come on changed relay stell won't kick on is their a reset button on it or any ideas what wrong it was running then had to beat on tank for a few days then went clear out so I changed it but it won't kick on I'm lost thanks
Old February 10th, 2017, 5:51 PM
CF Veteran

Start your own thread, and give some more details about what the issue was and what you have done....