Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 Express 3500 probs and fix.

Old May 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Express 3500 probs and fix.

Posting now so maybe others with the same problem can work theirs out. Recently spent several days over the past 3 weeks trying to get my work truck running right. It would run fine for a day or two then just die. Once in a while there would also be a slight hesitation or misfire at speed but engine would continue running Usually it would start right back up then be okay for the rest of the day.

At times when it didn't start immediately, starting fluid sprayed into the intake got her going right away. First we thought it was the fuel pump, changed that out. Worked good for 3 days then bagged again. Restarted and made it home. I might add at this point that no codes were ever set during this running/dieing out period while being driven on the road. Found a troubleshooting/testing guide here on this site and have been working through it to get my truck right. Automotive Troubleshooting and Test Articles -troubleshootmyvehicle.com

Tested the ICM, it tested BAD, tested the ignition coil, it tested BAD, tested the TPS, it tested BAD. GOING CRAZY. All those parts can't be bad and the truck still run. I started it one day and worked the throttle like a mad man to get the truck to die out...FINALLY died and it set a code. P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Seemed strange as the troubleshooting guide said if that was BAD the truck will not start, well mine would start with a bit of throttle but die randomly on the road and while sitting at idle. Took it to be an erroneous code, cleared it and started again. Truck running, finally died again and set another code, P1351.

NO CLUE not in book back the internet reading. Not a good code to have. Many things can cause it. Again I can start the truck with a bit of throttle and keep it running but if I let it down to idle it will die. Fuel pressure is good at 54psi. Continue reading internet and trying some things, at wits end then it sets the P0336 code again.

This time I decide to bite the bullet and put a Crankshaft Position Sensor in the vehicle knowing it's probably a waste of $85 but still cheaper than what the dealer will hit me for once they have the truck....read many of those horror stories here too.

IT WORKS!!! Truck idles smoothly, slight occasional misfire is gone, I've driven over 15 miles without any hesitation or drop out. Learned alot on this repair, more than I cared to know!!

Last edited by hunterdale; May 19th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old May 19th, 2012, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you should perform a crankshaft variation relearn procedure after installing a new crankshaft position sensor or you may end up setting false dtc...a full fuction scan tool is required.