Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 express front evap drain location

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 express front evap drain location

I recently had my evaporator changed by a local shop. I brought it back to them because it was dripping water out of the FRONT OF THE EVAP CASE.....on to a wire harness, I might add.

They took it all apart and showed me .....the REAR half of the Evap Case has a ROUND NOTCH on the FRONT EDGE of the lower case .....where it meets up with the front half of the case.

They claim THIS HOLE is the Evap drain location. There is no rubber boot on this hole. There is no flapper valve on this hole. Just a hole.

I have spent hundreds of hours under this hood ....doing various things...and I never......repeat NEVER......saw water dripping out the front of the case on to a wire harness.

There claim is almost convincing me.....but has anyone out there seen or heard of a DIFFERENT DRAIN location ? Anyone stuck their finger in a typical rubber boot type drain on a van ?
Old August 28th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never looked to see exactly where the water comes out, but I get a puddle every time I shut off the engine in the summer.....Loads of condensatation on that part.
Old August 29th, 2014, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New picture of lower evap case

Here is a picture of what I was trying to describe earlier. This was taken after the FRONT HALF of the Evap Case was removed.

You can see the ROUNDED NOTCH at the lower floor of the case. The angle on the floor of this case is LOWER at the FRONT.........so any water that accumulates.......runs toward the front of the case.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...drain-hole-jpg

If you reach under the Front Edge of the case........you can stick your finger easily in this hole. If anyone has a RUBBER BOOT over the hole......of course you will feel that first.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 express front evap drain location-evap-drain-hole.jpg  

Last edited by jerryr; August 29th, 2014 at 8:28 AM.