Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 Express Van fuel pump continues prime cycle

Old July 25th, 2015, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Express Van fuel pump continues prime cycle

Hi,
I have a 2000 Express van 5.0. When the ignition is in the run position, the fuel pump continues its prime cycle. It runs for two seconds, then stays off for two seconds, then runs again. It continues to do this as long as the ignition is in the run position, and it will not start. Also, when the fuel pump runs the fuel gauge pops from empty to full, then back to empty again.

I have disconnected the fuel pump harness and the gauge still goes to full and back at the same interval that it does when the pump is running. The same thing happens when I remove the fuel pump relay.

I have disconnected the fuel gauge wire from the harness that plugs into the pcm, and the fuel gauge does not go back and forth (it just stays on empty) but the pump still continues the prime cycle. I have removed every fuse that is not required for the pump to run, with no change.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old July 26th, 2015, 2:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Swap the fuel pump relay with the starter relay. They are side by side under the hood. If the issue stops, then replace the relay. Note putting the bad relay on the starter side, it may not crank......but see if it primes properly and holds.
Old August 17th, 2015, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem but i don't know where the fuel pump relay or anything else is. Could someone give me some clues to where they are. tks Wayne..
Old August 19th, 2015, 9:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to barge in, but i can't seem to post and was hoping you guys would have some ideas for me.Hi I'm new to this site and i'm getting good info, and i like it. My name is Wayne. I have a 2000 express conversion van 1500 5.7. My problem started by my van kept getting harder to start. Once started and run for awhile it was great, but after sitting awhile or over night same thing. But now it won't start at all. Turns over great but carbuerator is back firing. Fuel pump is priming. thought it might be electrical until that started happening to carb. I cleaned the cap and rotor too. Any help with this will be very appreciated. No engine light on. and i haven't been able to get any code reading yet Thanks again for any help. Wayne