Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Chevy Express 2500 lost power (360,000kms)

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2015, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Express 2500 lost power (360,000kms)

so my band was coming back from a tour and our van lost all power stearing, engine power and some breaking power. Seemed like we all heard a thud right around the time it lost power. The van subsequently wouldnt turn over afterwords although it was firing when the ignition was turned.

We got it towed to a nearby shop last night and the mechanic said that he thinks it may be the cam. Does this make sense? What would be a realistic repair cost in this instance?

I realize the cam is a lot of labour to fix so I guess I'm wondering if you think it's worth doing on a van this old? Would the cam failure end up causing other long term problems that make repairing it unrealistic?

We'll be renting a uhaul to get home and scrapping the van as a last resort. We are stranded in rural pensylvania right now and have zero experience with this stuff so I appriciate any advice.
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the accessory belt still there?
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah the belt is in tact.
Old May 12th, 2015, 9:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the timing chain broke and the cam was not turning, then the dizzy would not rotate. Pull the dizzy cap and crank it over. Repair might not be as bad......just re-time the engine and put on new chain .....I don't think on these vortecs that any pistons will reach any open valves....You may have to confirm that. If they do, then a full teardown might be required. I had a jaguar v12 that had the timing chain go, and half the valves were bent, and a few pistons had holes busted through the tops of them.
Now you mentioned that it would not turn over but would fire when cranked......which is it?
Does the engine spin when you engage the starter? Does it try to start....sputter etc...or just spin?
On you last note of is it worth it? That depends on the condition of the van, and how long you plan to keep it.....and of course what is wrong with the engine.....lol.